Skip to content
fluttering noise
socialworkerbyprofession posted:
Please forgive me if I have missed this question and there is already an answer. Lately I have noticed a fluttering sound in my ear. I know there is nothing in there, but it almost sounds like a bug's wings. Any idea what something like this could be? Is this something I need to bring up to my doctor? I think I started noticing it when I didn't take my lexapro for a week or so when I was moving and before I became established.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
There can be many causes for this fluttering sensation, including a condition called Myoclonus

Those three tiny ear bones in your middle ear (the area on the other side of your eardrum) have muscles (the stapedial and tensor tympani muscle) that are attached to them. Like any muscle, they can go into spasm and rapidly twitch (myoclonus). Then this happens in the ear, it will cause the eardrum to vibrate like a drum, resulting in a clicking, fluttering, or even a machine-like sound. The muscles in the throat and palate (the tensor veli palatini muscle) can also be contributory. And, of course, there may be other causes.

If these symptoms continue, I would suggest that you see a good ENT so you can be properly examined and diagnosed.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.