Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Stopped up ear no pain
Jennilohoo posted:
Dr. Moser my right ear has been stopped up for 2 weeks. I had some sinus pressure so i started taking tylenol sinus thinking it may help my ear. I noticed some dizzines during this time also. Then i tried over the counter ear drops. Nothing happen.Then all of a sudden out of the blue my right ear unstopped and now it's my left ear. There is no pain in either ear. Also when i turn my head sideways it will open somewhat but when i sit up it stops up again. Just not certain what to do. My mom says i need to run to the Doctor but with money tight lol i thought I would try this first. She thinks ill lose my hearing.Just a lil annoying not being able to hear just muffle noise out of the ear. Thanks so much for your time.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Emilybsh responded:
I have been having a similar problem for a couple of weeks. I've been sick with some kind of bacterial infection and had lots of other symptoms too. The plugged up ears have lasted even though my other symptoms have cleared up. I think it's liquid that has built up behind the eardrum (that's why it gets worse when you sit up). I doubt it will cause permanent hearing loss. But mine did seems to improve after a round of antibiotics. But you'll have to see a doctor for a prescription to get one. But I'm unemployed and have NO money and I was able to get one.

Depending on your situation and where you live, you might be able to qualify for health care through your county. Call your local social services office and ask them about it. If you qualify, the county will either cover your medical costs completely (including prescriptions) or have you pay a portion.

There may also be a low cost clinic where you can pay something like $50 to see the doctor. And many generic antibiotics are really cheap (like $8 or even less). There are a lot of low cost medical offices popping up due to the current economic problems and rise in unemployment. Check your area.

Since you don't have other symptoms, you might just have a mild ear infection that will just take time to clear up on it's own.

Tell your mom not to worry. I once had my eardrum burst (very painful!) and I can still hear. There has to be major trauma for you to lose your hearing.

Note: I'm not a doctor or any kind of medical professional. I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
You Mom is right...the only way that you can have this problem properly addressed is to see your medical provider. Unfortunately, I have no way of accurately diagnosing you over the Internet without the advantage of examining your ears. Yes, I know money is very tight, but sometimes, you just have to do it. I don't know if you will lose you hearing, but I do know that it is important to get examined.

There can be many possibilities, from a simple wax impaction....to middle ear effusion (fluid) due to eustachian tube dsyfunction. Even a middle ear infection can cause similar symptoms. There may be a simple answer...and a simple solution.

tcblove replied to Rod_Moser_PA_PhD's response:
My mom has been having a lot of issues w/ her ears lately. She has been to doctors, had tubes put in twice, and gets allergy shots w/out any relief. She also has bulging discs in her neck. Not sure; but, it may be a combination that keeps triggering migraines for her.

Problem is, nothing is helping to unstop her ears. She can get temporary relief from changing positions (lying to sitting); but, the problem never seems to resolve. ENT tells her to see allergist, allergist tells her to see ENT!

She is now wondering if the problem w/ the ears could possibly be linked to any undiagnosed heart issues. I was wondering what you thought about this. Should she have her heart cathed? All other tests have come back normal on her heart. Thanks!!

tcblove replied to tcblove's response:
Also, she recently had an epidural shot placed in her neck. That has failed to help w/ the stopped up ears as well.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to tcblove's response:
A person with cervical disk disease can have "neurologically-referred ear pain", but as far as a connection to a heart problem or needing a heart cath, I really would need to know more about her case. I can't really see a connection, but this is only based on the information in your brief posting.

tcblove replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you so much for your response!!! I don't think it is her heart; but, she's very frustrated at this point and does not know who to turn to. They put tubes in her ears twice but it only provides minimal relief. Anytime she sits up her ears stop up. Lying down does provide some relief.

She has complained to her ENT, her allergist, her family doctor, and a pain management doctor that placed the epidural in her neck. No one seems to have an answer.

Could the problem w/ her neck cause her ears to stay stopped up? She said there isn't a lot of pain in her ears ... mainly just stopped up all of the time.

Could you tell me which type of doctor you feel might be able to help figure this out? If she should make another appt w/ her ENT, Allergist that adjusts her allergy shots, or the pain management doctor that is treating her neck?

She does not want to have to take pain medications at all. That is why she opted for the epidural which has helped her neck a little bit. We just need to figure out what is causing her ears to be stopped up all of the time and fix that.

Could a medication that she is taking be causing her ears to stop up? I'm not sure what meds she is on; but, if that is a possibility I can find out and research them for her.

Would using one of the ear candles help at all w/ stopped up ears?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. She has been fighting this for a couple of years. She even had a new heat pump put in w/ better filters; and, she had her carpet replaced w/ wood floors throughout her home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No ear candles! If she had a wax impaction, the ENT would have been able to determine on exam, so don't use ear candles. They are pure quackery in my opinion.

She can see another ENT for a "second opinion". If she has a problem with the Eustachian tubes, there are certainly other ways of treating it.

Get the list of meds, but it is not very likely this is the culprit.

I just spoke w/ my mom and she told me that she has been experiencing dizziness and nausea along w/ her ears being stopped up. She said she has times that she feels like she is going to pass out. That is why she wondered if it could be her heart since the other doctors haven't been able to give her any answers.

Obviously, these are symptoms that can be concerning. These must be brought to her doctor's attention so that they can be carefully evaluated. Among the many causes would be inner ear disorders.

Is your mother having any changes with her hearing, especially during these dizzy and nausea spells?

Her ENT tested her hearing before and after putting the tubes in. They were unable to find any hearing loss. However, she said that when her ears get stopped up really bad she does have trouble hearing.

I'm thinking it is an inner ear disorder as well. I'm trying to do as much research as I can online for her. I did get a list of her meds and am in the process of looking them up. I have found nothing though; so, I feel you are right about it not being likely the cause.

Again, thank you so much!!

Read about Menieres disease....

M?ni?re's disease affects over 2 million people in the United States. It is most frequently seen in adults 20 to 60 years of age with no gender predilection.

M?ni?re's disease is a medical condition of the inner ear characterized by episodes of debilitating vertigo (dizziness), tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and intermittent (and often progressive) hearing loss — often referred to as the "triad of symptoms". Many patients may complain of a sensation of "fullness" in the affected ear, and nausea and vomiting are also quite common. Usually these symptoms appear together, although it is not uncommon for ringing or hearing loss to precede the onset of dizziness.

The onset of vertigo is usually sudden (called "attacks") and often disabling. M?ni?re's disease attacks, while unpredictable, are usually short-lived and self-limiting. The vertigo may last minutes or hours but rarely lasts longer than 24 to 48 hours. Persistent vertigo lasting longer than this suggests a diagnosis other than M?ni?re's disease. Patients frequently are well between attacks.

I will look this up. Thank you. I'm also going to look for another ENT for her to get a second opinion.

Hi Dr. Moser, I have another question. My mom went back to her ENT for her ears being stopped up. He has ordered an MRI to check and see if her brain has slipped down. If it comes back positive she will have to see a neurosurgeon to have her brain tacked back up.

She can not remember what the doctor called this condition. I have been researching trying to find more information; but, I'm not finding much. I know that I am probably not using the correct technical terms which may be why I am not locating info on this condition.

I was wondering if you have ever heard of something like that and if you could please direct me to where I could find more information.

Thank you so much for your help!

I have no idea what the ENT was talking about....a brain "slipping down"? Slipping down to where? And, as far as seeing a neurosurgeon to tack it back up, I think your mother was either given some odd information, or a weird explanation.

She will need to clarify it with her ENT. I don't have a clue what he meant.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.