Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ear pressure relief
dadunn60 posted:
Any recommendations for pressure relief in the ear, I recently had a ear infection and currently on medication. My Doctor did not put me on any ear drops, and I fill like I need to clear out wax build up

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Depends on the cause of the "pressure"....

Pressure due to a wax impaction would be treated differently than middle ear pressure due to cold/allergy or eustachian tube dysfunction. Decongestants are often used, but they are far from a miracle cure. Usually, as soon as your infection improves, the middle ear pressure will improve.

Did your doctor tell you what KIND of ear infection you have? Middle ear infection? What kind of medication are you taking? I am guessing that you do not have a wax impaction, otherwise your doctor would not have been able to see your eardrum in order to diagnose an ear infection.

dadunn60 responded:
My Doctor is actually a PA, and just labeled it a nasty ear infection, give me a shot of anti-botics and prescribed 10 day of Levaquin 500 mg and Prednisone 10 mg.

I really had no other symptoms other than ear pain/pressure and noticed lots of ear drainage. She did in fact scope out a large amount of wax and said I should be able to hear better. I do swim a lot and suspect the cause come from pool water.

The really bad thing is that this occured 5 days ago and now I'm in Jamaica on vacation and would like to dive, however I know I shouldn't. She did tell me to stay out of the water for a few days, which I did.

After several attempts with a Q-tip nothing seems to come out. My wife suggest that I place a couple drops of alcohol in the ear, I keep val-salving thinking it will clear, I really need something.

I would not suggest the alcohol, since you do not know the status of your ear. And, as you know, I have no way of diagnosing or treating you over the Internet. Unless I could examine your ear, there is really no way for me to suggest a patient-specfic treatment.

Based on your prescription, you most likely have a MIDDLE ear infection. This would have nothing to do with earwax or something caused by pool water. This would be an entirely different type of ear infection (otitis externa). Middle ear infections can cause residual fluid (effusion) that can take WEEKS to resolve, even on the prednisone.

dadunn60 responded:
Thanks for the advice, and I will wait for it to get better. So swimming in the ocean should not bother this condition? My doctor did tell me keep my head above water for a few days, which I have but being in Jamaica and my vacation is centered around diving ,I would at least like to snorkel a time or two and not have to worry about how to keep water out of the ear?

Swimming and snorkling are two different things....

Swimming should not adversely affect your ear, but diving down more than a few feet could cause some problems if the cause of your ear pressure is due to those estachian tubes (most likely). So, you will be taking a chance if you decide to go much further than a few feet below the surface.

Just hang out by the pool...eat Jerk Port, drink some Red Stripe, and listen to Marley.

dadunn60 responded:
Thanks Doc!! I will follow your advice.

Thanks, David

....not too much Red Stripe, mon.

19397 responded:
My doctor told me that my ears needed cleaning, He recommended a few drops of olive oil into the ear, I used Q-tip swabs to get the wax out but now I'm feeling pressure in inner ear canal and my level of hearing has decreased HELP me get back to normal hearing

You need to stop messing with your ear...

Olive oil followed by a Q-tip is not going to remove earwax. As a matter of fact, it may pack it solidly against your eardrums. Did you ever see someone loading one of those Civil War cannons?

The only thing you can do now is try and lavage out your ear with warm water. You can use the shower or try and buy an ear syringe at the local pharmacy. They should have them, even in Jamaica.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.