Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eustachian Tube and throat pain
JenniferHuff posted:
I have Eustachain Tube dysfunction, eardrum is inverted, with very painful swallowing. Been trying decongetant, gargling, warm compress, popping my ears, tylenol. Anything else I can do for the sore throat? Why does my throat hurt so much. I'm 31 weeks pregnant. What would you recommend if I wasn't pregnant?

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Well, you ARE pregnant, so this really isn't something we can discuss....

Your options are very few since you cannot or should not be using medications unless specfically recommended by your OB or primary care provider.

Pregnant women can get viruses...they can get strep, so it may be in your best interest to get your throat examined by a medical provider (not something that I can do over the Interent, obviously). You may need a strep test. You are doing the supportive things I would recommend (except the decongestants).

The hormonal surges of pregnancy are sufficient to cause tissue swelling and eustachian tube dysfunction, so as soon as you have that baby, you may be fine. I know this may be a long wait, but chronic congestion in the last semester is not uncommon. Hang in there.

stigmatisert responded:
If you have throat/swallowing pain and know you have ET-dysfunction, the pain may be due to "excessive" air being pressed into your swallow while you swallow instead of being ventilated towards your ears.

The excessive air gets trapped because the swallowing muscles struggle to press it down, as it were food. (and, as I guess you know, air-pressure hurts a lot).

You might get your tubes to open more easely by "watering" them using a neti-pot or press them open by holding your nose. (The combination is not good, because the "squeeking" sound may hurt your hearing or the pressure may result in a barotrauma - as unlucky divers may get).

Write a comment to keep me updated after trying it.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.