Skip to content
swollen uvula-no pain
kreesh posted:
Hi Doc I have had a swollen uvula since July 24th. But it doesn't hurt at all. Shortly after, my allergies begin to bothering me (sneezing, itchy, nose) for a few days. But my uvula still remains swollen and theres an occasional sinus drip in the back of my throat. I did research online and assumed it was just my allergies. I really didn't take anything for it until this past week. I took an ibuprofen and it went down for a few hours. I also gargled with oral hydrogen peroxide and sea salt and warm water as well. It went away for few hours but came back. Lastly I took a Benadryl and it had no effect on it. I've had sinus infections before in the past but don't recall this ever happening. My uvula isn't swollen as seen in pics online but it is definitely not its normal size since I can feel it laying on my tongue. It doesn't go form one side to another when i say "aaah" but its so annoying! Doc what should I do?!? Thanks in advance!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
There can be many causes for the inflammatory swelling of your uvula. Assuming you do not have Strep (no pain), it should go away spontaneously but I would not have any way of determining when (since I can't examine you). Keep gargling with saline (1/4 tsp of salt with 8 oz of water) and take some ibuprofen for the anti-inflammatory effect. Give it some time, but do not hesitate to see your medical provider if this does not resolve, or if you are concerned. Seeing your medical provider is really the only way you can be properly diagnosed.

kreesh responded:
Thank you Dr. Going tomorrow to an ENT.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.