Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Inner Ear bleeding from q-tip?
khockey156 posted:
The other night I was cleaning my ears with a qtip and I went in too far. I had the usual pain for such an experience. This morning when cleaning my ears I noticed blood was on the qtip. It was enough to scare me so I put hydrogen peroxide on a qtip and cleaned out the bleeding ear. It has been an hour or so and the bleeding has stopped. The bleeding is not visible to the outside. I'm not sure but there may be some slight pain associated with this injury (although this might just be my imagination). Is this something to be concerned about/see a doctor? What courses of treatment should I follow? And should I avoid certain activities like say a loud party this weekend? Thanks!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
You most likely damaged your ear canal or ruptured your eardrum with that Q-tip. You should NEVER use Q-tips inside your ear canal, for just this very reason. And, if you may have a ruptured eardrum, you should not pour peroxide in your ear.

I am glad the bleeding has stopped. Most ruptured eardrums will heal in time, depending on how severe they are. Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to determine the extent of your self-inflicted injury over the Internet, so if you have any more bleeding....decreased hearing....or pain, you will need to see your medical provider so you can be properly examined.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.