Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Torus Palatinus
BiggaWhat posted:
Well I recently discovered a small hard bump on the midline of my hard palate. I haven't had it checked out yet, but I am assuming that it is a tori. I know these things generally slowly grow over time so I was wondering what the treatment options are. I know I could get it surgically removed, but at its current size I really don't think it is worth it. Are there any other less invasive methods to reduce the size of these? I was reading something about using celloid minerals to slowly reduce its size, although I don't know how legitimate that is. Also, if I were to go the surgical route, is it likely that once removed it would slowly come back again over time? Thanks for your help.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
It is not very common to have these removed. Most people simply get used to having them. In the unlikely event that it gets so big that it causes you problems, then have a good ENT remove it. Less-invasive laser treatments or surgical excisions can be done; and it would not be very likely that it would return. I do not know anything about those "celloid minerals", but it doesn't seem logical to me that this would work.

Seeing an ENT for a hands-on consultation would be the best way to get a more patient-specfic recommendation. Since I can't examine you, I can only speculate.

whettam replied to Rod_Moser_PA_PhD's response:
What problems can occur from enlarged torus p?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to whettam's response:
Typically....none. I have seen hundreds of these in my career and no one is having any problems. I consider this an "incidental finding".

ladyliegh replied to whettam's response:
The main problem that torus palatinus causes is a gagging reflex when trying to wear partials or dentures. About 10% of the population has this issue & it is a shame there isn't more information on the web about it. It has made wearing dentures frustrating & impossible for me. (A snap in denture or hybrid is needed.)

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.