Skip to content
Lump in earlobe and swollen ear
thezaphod042 posted:
Hi,

I developed a lump in my right ear lobe about 6 months ago. At first it was just a small little lump then when I squezed the earlobe I could feel it.. Over the past week or so it has gotten bigger and more painful to the touch, it feels like it is on the inside of the lobe. Also my entire ear is swollen to the point it is noticable from the other side. Also feels warmer to the touch.

It devolped a what i would call a white spot on the outside of it tonight and when squezed it pop a very think white puss and then thick blood. It still is just as hard and still hurts.

The swelling of the entire ear is what is really making me wonder about this. I plan on making a appt with my doctor in the morning but wondering what it could be.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
A guess. This is most likely a sebaceous cyst, now infected because of your popping and squeezing. Incidentally, this is NOT a good idea to do on an ear. Not only can you make it worse, you can create a permanent ear lobe deformitiy.

You most definitely need to see your medical provider and be placed on course of antibiotics for the infection (and cellulitis). In the mean time, please leave it alone. You can use some warm compressed, but stop squeezing it.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.