Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ear Infection,Spreading to face
pebblesbuddy699 posted:
Hello if anyone can please help me I would appreciate it. So let me start from the beginning. Saturday my ear started to feel weird. Nothing major it just felt a little off, like I was getting a pimple or something in my ear. Saturday night it started to bother me a little bit and when I woke up Sunday I had full on ear pain. I knew it must be an ear infection so I went to the doctors asap. At this point my ear is popping but I can still hear from it. I go to the doctor and since my ear wasn't swollen a lot yet she said there was fluid, my ear drum was red and my canal was swollen, rendering me with 2 infections, of the middle ear and the canal. She gave me drops, and a Z pak and I was on my way. The pain on Sunday was horrible. I take 800 MG Ibuprofen just to help with it. Sunday night my ear started to feel full and it was popping in and out of being able to hear and not being able to hear. Monday came and the pain is still horrible, and I can now not hear most of the time. This would also be the second day I have taken the antibiotics. At this point I notice my ear is swollen and I can tell the one ear is larger than the left. Tuesday comes and now my ear is completely swollen, I notice its red and puffy behind my ear on my head and red and puffy on the skin right on my face by my ear. The pain is still there but seems more subdued. I can now officially hear nothing from this ear, I assume it's because its completely swollen shut. It is now Wednesday and the pain has subsided a lot but my whole entire ear is completely swollen and the red puffiness that was on my face has now spread more to my cheek. I notice also the red puffiness behind my ear has spread more down my neck.

My question is, is this normal for an ear infection? I have taken the 2nd to last antibiotic and the only thing that I can see so far that has gotten better is the pain. The swollen ear seems to have gotten worse as well as the skin surrounding it. Will I go deaf permanently? Is this something to worry about? I have already seen an urgent care doctor and my regular doctor. The urgent care one was the only one who could see in my ear, because when I went to my regular doctor my ear was almost completely swollen shut. I have an appointment with an ENT but I can't wait. Please anyone let me know if you have experienced this or if you are a nurse or doctor what this means. I am freaking out. I am also a 24 year old adult female, not a child. Thank you.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
As you know, I have no way of examining you, but based solely on what you have posted, I suspect that you are going to need a more potent antibiotic - perhaps an injection of Rocephin. Azithromycin may not be strong enough if you are developing cellulitis - a deeper, spreading infection. This type of ear infection can be quite serious, so I agree that you should not wait to see the ENT, unless the ENT is on-call and agrees to see you NOW. If not, you may need to be seen at the ER. I know you have seen two other medical providers, but things have changed....you are now worse.

There is really no way for me, or any medical provider, to know if you will go deaf. Right now, your priority is to get this infection controlled.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.