Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Retracted eardrum
RRTaylor1 posted:
Ten days ago I went to the Dr. with pain and pressure in my ear going down into my jaw bone. The Dr. I saw is not my regular physician, he was out of town. The one I did see said I was having sinus drainage from allergies and that had the lymph nodes inflamed. She gave me Naproxen 500mg (twice a day, ten days), Amoxicillin 875 mg (twice a day, ten days), and Allegra. I already take Singular year round. She said if I did not get better to go to my regular Dr. but to follow up with him in a few weeks anyway. It got better for a few days then started back. I could not see my regular Dr. until yesterday. I told him what all had gone on and what I had taken. He looked in my ears and said my eardrum is retracted in my ear. He gave me a prescription for Biaxin 500mg to take twice a day for ten days. I have just finished a ten day round of antibiotics, do I need more? I have looked at several articles for retracted eardrums on-line and none of them have said anything about taking antibiotics unless there is an ear infection. What do you think?

chickidebottom responded:
If your lymph node are inflamed that generally means there's an infection, doesn't it?

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
A retracted eardrum is just caused by "negative" middle ear pressure -- the eardrum is sucked inward. This often is caused by a dysfunctional eustachian tube, and sinusitis can certainly be contributory. I don't know why he used another course of antibiotics unless he suspected your sinusitis was not fully cleared, or saw evidence of infection in your eardrum. I would suggest that you take the antibiotic since your doctor -- the one who examined you -- felt that it was important.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No, an enlarged lymph node does not necessarily mean "infection". Lymph nodes can enlarge from inflammation, too. As an example, allergies cause inflammation.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.