Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Short, sudden pain in left ear
nikkee_b posted:
I'm a healthy 24/F. Starting yesterday, I've been getting a sharp pain in my left ear that goes away after a few seconds. I've never had anything even close to this before, so I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before? It happens at irregular intervals - about 5 times yesterday and 2 times today so far. No discharge or anything, just a sharp pain.

The past few weeks I've been really tired and a couple of weeks ago I heard water in my right ear (like when you've been swimming all day - except I hadn't been swimming). I don't think these have anything to do with my questions, but just in case the info helps...

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Ear pain is really a vague symptom, Nikkee....there are MANY things that cause ear pain, from issues in the ear itself, and referred pain. Because of nerve pathways, one can feel pain in the ear from a variety of issues in the mouth, throat, and neck.

So the bottom line is that you will need to see a medical provider or ENT so you can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated -- three things that I am unable to accomplish over the Internet.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.