Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Air coming out of ear.
millertimeivy posted:
Hi. I went to a rock concert with some friends 2 days ago. We had floor seats, so we were fairly close to the speakers, which made the music very loud. When I got home that night, I had lost some hearing in my left ear. I assumed it would go away, so I just let it go. Today, the hearing had not gotten any better, so I tried popping my ears. When I did this, I felt/heard air coming out of that ear. I asked my girlfriend if she could hear it, and she could. There is definitely air coming out of my ear. There is also a slight numb sensation when I touch it, but I cannot tell if that is due to the lack of hearing. I am very concerned as to what is going on inside my ear, and I would love any help you could offer. Thank you so much.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
If you are truly having air emerge from your ear canal, then you most likely have a ruptured eardrum --- not an uncommon consequence of an acoustic incident like that rock concert. Sometimes, it can "feel" like air is coming out of your ears, when in reality, the air is only going from the back of your throat to the middle ear space. The fact that you have hearing loss may be another clue, however, that your eardrum's integrity has been breeched.

You will need to see a medical provider so that your ears can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated. Most, not all unforunately, ruptured eardrums do heal over time.

Let this be a valuable lesson about acoustic injury. Next time, stay away from those heart-stopping speakers AND wear good, protective earplugs. You will hear the music, perhaps not in it's earth-shattering intensity, but you will go home with your eardrums and hearing intact.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.