Skip to content
My ears close up at night
Tomboi_Fuzzy posted:
I've had a on going problem with my ears. At night before I go to bed my ears close up. It makes it difficult to hear out of my ears especially my right ear. When I wake up in the morning it takes a few hours for my ears to pop and I can hear clearly. I clean my ears regularly and I've had done ear wax cleaning and nothing helps. I wen to the doctor once and he gave me some stuff you put up your nose cause he thought it was a build up of fluid but that didn't help at all. I have learned to cope with this and it's not painful but I am just curious why my ears do this every night.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I am curious, too.....Unfortunately, I have no way of examining you to help determine a reason. If your primary care doctor was not able to solve this issue, then perhaps it is time to see a good ENT.

It may be a care of eustachian tube dsyfunction - perhaps with fluid in your middle ear, but even a wax impaction (especially packed against your eardrum) can do this. Q-tip users often do just that. There is really no medical need to "clean your ears"...wax is a protective substance and should not be removed. It is not dirt. You can wash off with a wash cloth what you can see, but keep those things out of your ear canal.

Do you sleep on your side? Is this the downward ear -- the one that lies against the pillow?

Tomboi_Fuzzy responded:
I sleep every which way. My ears start to close whenever I lay my head down. Doesn't really matter if I'm going to sleep just when my head is laying down. If I pull on my ear downward it makes it easier to hear. For a while now I have felt like while I can hear I am not hearing as clearly as I should. I will set up an appointment but was just needing some medical lingo to relay to the doctor to get them on the right path.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Just explain to the doctor or ENT what you are experiencing....you really don't need any medical lingo.

Please1HELP replied to Tomboi_Fuzzy's response:
Hey Tomboi_Fuzzy, I have the same right ear problem problem as you, Did you find any solution or explanation? thank you.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.