Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ear Vacuum?
Realtrbear posted:
A friend of mine stated he had the same trouble with his ear with fluid. He said he has a ear vacuum? Have you ever heard such a thing? Can you vacuum your ears and get out fluid? Just curious, I have been trying to see about a vacuum with no avail. I wonder if he was thinking about ear candeling? All responses would be greatly appreciated!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Only the ENT has a special suction device that can "vaccuum" the ear, but a surgical incision must be made in the eardrum first -- obviously, not something you can do yourself.

Absolutely DO NOT try and use a vaccuum cleaner, or you will suck out your eardrum in a flash!

I am NOT a fan of ear candling. I think that those cones (ear candles) are one of the most ridiculous and useless things on the market, and a prime example of unadulterated quackery.

First, they are worthless. Scientific test have proven that there is not enough vacuum created by uprising smoke to suck anything upwards, let alone wax or infection. Symptoms that indicate an infection (ear pain, ear pressure, fever, etc.) are unlikely to be influenced by this bogus procedure. Itching, ear discharge, or pain when you pull/tug on the outer ear can indicate otitis externa -- an infection in the ear canal. Ear candling will not help this either. As a matter of fact, it could make it considerably worse. One site on the Internet claims that these cones/candles were invented by the people of Atlantis, which apparently adds to their appeal and popularity.

Second, most ear infections occur in the middle ear space -- the area on the other side of your eardrum, not in your ear canal. Earwax, though yucky-looking, is NOT infection and is more beneficial than harmful. There are better and safer ways to remove excess earwax. Besides, why would you want to put MORE wax in your ear?

Third, the heat created by ear candling can cause a bulging eardrum (from infection) to rupture. Although most ruptures will heal, it is not a good idea in the modern world to encourage this. Hot ear wax can also damage the sensitive lining of the ear canal, which is rich in sensory nerves.

If you want to light a candle, don't light one in your ear. My suggestion would be for you to see a medical provider and be properly diagnosed and treated.

www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

www.cnn.com/HEALTH/alternative/9907/16/ear.candles/

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.