Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
EARS & MUCUS
tinakep posted:
Hi Dr- Again

Just had a couple questions- I'm sure you remember me- Taking Zegerid and AXID for 5 months now for GERD-LPR. It is better swallowing- but I have excessive mucus in throat and ears popping & clogging (ears for a year now) Been to 2 ENTS all along- I spoke to my GP recently and asked him if I should try Claritan- he said I could-it may even help with ears- is it possible? I tried Claritan in the summer along with Sudafed and it did nothing for my ears. At that time, I did not have the excessive mucus I have now in my throat . Is it possible Claritan would help with both-mucus and ears if taken for a month? Is it ok to take along with Zegerid and AXID? Is is possible the AXID is causing the excessive mucus? I am still at a loss with this whole situation- been to doctors for a year now with this problem. Don't know if GERD-LPR caused the problem with mucus and ears or is it a separate problem? No one knows. Been to an allergist last summer, too-no allergies.

I do feel that this mucus problem has SOMETHING to do with ears!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, Tina
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Your GP said to go ahead and try Claritin to see if it helps, so why not do what he/she suggested? Give it a try. It can't hurt to try it for a while. And, yes, you can take it with your other medications.

No, I don't feel that AXID is causing the mucous problem, and yes, the mucous could be adversely affecting your ears.

tinakep responded:
Hi Again Dr-

What do you mean by mucus adversel y affecting ears? Also, I hear a lot of "Stuff" inside nose-maybe its congestion and the mucus in going into throat affecting ears? Would Claritan or Sudafed help? I was just going to try Claritan for now. And what does all this have to do with GERD-LPR?

Also, can en ENT see if you have Post Nasil Drip by looking into throat with mirror?

Thanks as always for any advice.

You don't need a mirror to see postnasal drainage. It is right there, in front of you, flowing down the back of your throat, in plain view during a mouth examination. In most cases, this will have nothing to do with GERD or LPR, however, any irritation to the throat, regardless of the source, can cause increased mucous.

Try the Claritin that your doctor suggested.

tinakep responded:
Dr-

A couple more questions I thought of:

1) Can the eustachian tubes be blocked by mucus in throat?- If so, what is treatment- claritan? 2) They say symptom of LPR is mucus-if taking 2 meds for GERD for almost 1/2 year, why would mucus still be there?

Thank you again- I am really trying to research this whole thing on my own since all the DRs I have been to in this past year have really not been helpful. I just want to feel normal again.

Eustachian tubes are blocked by soft tissue swelling, which can be caused by throat irriation. Throats can be irritated from postnasal mucous drainage, or from your LPR. I don't know why you are having this mucous.

Treatment would depend on the the cause -- the reason you doctor determines, or believes is the underlying cause in your particular case. I don't know if Claritin is the appropriate treatment for you, but your doctor feels that you should try it. Obviously, finding the underlying cause is the KEY. Unfortunately, this is not something that I could every determine over the Internet.

Eustachian tubes are blocked by soft tissue swelling, which can be caused by throat irriation. Throats can be irritated from postnasal mucous drainage, or from your LPR. I don't know why you are having this mucous.

Treatment would depend on the the cause -- the reason you doctor determines, or believes is the underlying cause in your particular case. I don't know if Claritin is the appropriate treatment for you, but your doctor feels that you should try it. Obviously, finding the underlying cause is the KEY. Unfortunately, this is not something that I could ever determine over the Internet.

tinakep responded:
Is it possible that this could ALL be related to GERD-LPR?

tinakep responded:

I see in another post someone asked if ETD can be caused by GERD?You said Yes Could this be my case even if on 2 meds for almost 6 months?

tinakep responded:

I see in another post someone asked if ETD can be caused by GERD?You said Yes Could this be my case even if on 2 meds for almost 6 months?

I think we discussed this possibility many times....YES, it is possible.

tinakep responded:
Dr Just wanted to ask you something else? Is it normal for your ears to pop when you hold your nose and blow? I have been doing this quite often through the day and they pop loud. Is this because of the ETD or this happens to everyone? Should I keep doing this? Is this harmful?

I also flex the muscles in my throat and they crackle.

Thanks again

tinakep responded:
Dr Just wanted to ask you something else? Is it normal for your ears to pop when you hold your nose and blow? I have been doing this quite often through the day and they pop loud. Is this because of the ETD or this happens to everyone? Should I keep doing this? Is this harmful?

I also flex the muscles in my throat and they crackle.

Thanks again

Your ears are supposed to "pop" when you do this, but if you do it too often...or too hard, you can change the pressure in your middle ear space. The pressure is supposed to be the same as the outside atmosphere. When it is too high or too low, your ears may fell full or stuffy. I don't usually recommend that my patients do this, unless it seems to help.

tinakep responded:
Dr-

Is there anything to clean out the nasal passages? I feel there that's a lot in there- I can hear it. Will Claritan help that? Also, can that "stuff" (mucus) that's in nasal passages clog the eustachian tubes?

Also, can the GERD-LPR could have caused these symptoms since I have NO allergies?

Thanks.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.