Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Normal Size Jugulodigastric nodes
6Mellie posted:
Hi there,I've been having some weird symptoms. I thought it was in my head at first, and then it just didn't go away. Then I thought it was my thyroid, but after doing some anatomy research on line I realized it was a lymph node that I feel is pushing on my throat. I even at one time thought I became allergic to something and my throat was swelling closed due to inflammation.

Symptoms are:
  • Highly sensitive gag reflex (most bothersome symptom)
  • Sometimes I cough to stop the gag -usually after eating because I am not interested in vomiting
  • TMJ like symptoms - sore mandibles, feels like I am constantly tensing the jaw muscles - I have been wearing a mouth piece that I bought over the counter, and massage my jaw but it doesn't really stop it.
  • Weight loss from June -July (20lbs) and July-Oct (10lbs) with out trying purposefully Total beginning weight 260lbs - Current weight 230lbs (30 lbs in about 5 months)

So my question is..... I was feeling the jugulodigastric node and I can't find the "normal size" to compare it to see if it is abnormal. I believe the measurement that mine is, just from feeling with my fingers, then measuring my fingers against a ruler is about

1.5 inches or 3.75cm ---so if I put my index and middle finger on each side of the node... I feel both 1.5 inches on each side with each hand. This is accurate measurement from my palpitations, but if I were to be conservative, by palpitation the node is definitely at LEAST 3.125cm or 1.25inches

After looking at the lymph node system I also realized (from what I could tell) is that there are lymph nodes also in the jaw/mandible area??? Sort of on the side of the cheek where you could feel your mollers? This got me thinking if there is something going on with my lymph nodes. The gagging and TMJ like symptoms have been going on for at least a month or so. I have not been sick at all, that I know of. No sniffles, no sinus drainage, nothing out of the normal.

So what is the normal size of the Jugulodigastric node, and should I be worried about these symptoms?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
    There are really not normal sizes for lymph nodes. Every person and every node is different. You cannot determine the significance of a node based solely on the size. You must also consider the consistency and movement of the node, the location, the presence of other physical examination findings in the nodes drainage area, and of course, the presence of any systemic illness or condition that could cause them to react. It would not be possible for me, or any medical provider, to be able to determine the significance or nature of YOUR node, based solely on a description. I do not know anything about you, your complete medical history, or have any way of examining you first-hand. These are really the essential components to making this decision -- not something that I can do over the Internet.

I commend you on your self-exam and research, but you will need to see a medical provider -- someone that can examine you -- in order to address your concern.

6Mellie responded:
    Thanks for your quick reply!

I understand why you would need to take all areas of the lymph nodes and medical history to make a decision. It makes sense to look at the whole picture.

Thank you for informing me that there are really no "normal size".... I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet.

Just so you know, I wasn't expecting any sort of diagnoses, if my understanding is correct about the medical field - It is illegal to make a diagnoses over the internet with out a physical examination of the patient.

However, really do appreciate all of the information you have given me.

Sincerely, Mel Merry Christmas

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
    It's not "illegal", but very irresponsible for any medical provider to claim they can diagnose anyone over the Internet.

If this node is concerning you, it would be in your best interest to get it checked out professionally.

And, a Merry Christmas to you as well.

An_187416 responded:
    I think I have a very similar symptom to you.
    Could you share what your recent treatment?
    Regards,

Dave55 responded:
    have similar symptoms. Do you have an update? would love to heat it. thanks

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
    Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.