Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Impacted sinus
CJNJ26 posted:
First of all, thank you for answering my previous question regarding my ear infections. Unfortunately my daughter is experiencing a much worse ENT issue. I have also posted this on the pediatric board but I wasn't sure if it shouldn't also be asked to an ENT doctor:

I have been working with my 10 yr old daughter's pediatrician to treat what was diagnosed as a sinus infection. Symptoms started on 12/5 with fever, sneezing and stuffy nose. The fever disappeared after 2 days but then she started with bad fits of non-productive coughing. Any discharge from the nose has been clear, but mixed with traces of blood. On 12/12, I was instructed by her doctor to take her to an immedicare care facility to have her lungs listened to, in order to rule out pneumonia. Her lungs have been completely clear this entire time.

On 12/14, since her cough had not improved, her pediatrician examined her and prescribed Augmentin liquid, 600mg, 2 tsp, twice a day. She has now been on that for 4 full days and there still is no improvement. I can see a pocket of swelling under each of her eyes, but the only drainage when she blows her nose is thin and clear. Her doctor did not recommend that I contiune to use any over the counter cough or cold medicine since she had already been taking mucinex for a full week with no success.

I have tried steam treatments (bowl of hot water, towel over her head) 3 times a day, followed up with saline nasal spray. She has been eating chicken soup and drinking peppermint herbal tea. All of this was on the advice of her doctor, to encourage the sinus to open and begin to drain. Her coughing fits (undoubtedly due to the post nasal drip) are still very bad and I just don't know what else to do.

At 6 years old, she had her adenoids removed and this is the first sinus infection she has had since then. I am calling her pediatrician tomorrow morning as they asked me to, to report that there has been no improvement.

My question is - what can be done to help drain her impacted sinus? The nurse made it pretty clear that until we get the sinus open and draining, the infection is unlikely to clear up. I'm very worried since this has been going on for almost 2 weeks now and there's no improvement. Is draining the sinus something that can be done in a pediatrician's office? I'm not one to go to the emergency room, unless there's truly an emergency, but something's got to give!

Thank you! Cathy

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No, it would not be likely that a pediatrician would drain her sinuses in the office. Even ENTs try and avoid that procedure. If you have the opportunity to see and ENT that would be great.

Has she had any imaging studies? It sounds like she needs a CT scan of her sinuses. The antibiotic she is taking is appropriate, but because the blood supply into the sinus area -- the way that antibiotics get to the place they are needed -- is poor, so it can take longer than four days to see a positive response.

Nasal corticosteroids or oral steroids may help. Hot compresses over her sinuses may promote drainage. You can try sinus irrigation (if she tolerates it) - there are kits you can get at the pharmacy.

CrispyDog responded:
Over many years I've seen this sickness a lot. First get the bowel flowing. Get some good herbal laxitives into the child, preferably Cascara Sagrada and some Liquorice root. They come in capsules and should be taken every two hours or so until you get a good result.
Bake some red-beets cut into five or six pieces in an oven for twenty five minutes at around 220 centigrade. (NOT A FREAKING MICROWAVE!)
Eat these once a day.
Get off junk food. Get on to your Nutritional Type food. It makes a serious difference when we eat for our 'type'.
Get onto alkaline food. Get of acid forming food. Sinus problems come from incorrect eating habits and types of foods. Zero foods that have gluten, sugar and any other additives.
Eat whole, organic food.
Get off fizzo. Drink water and some vegetable juice.
Lastly, get off sugar. It's action leeches glycogen from the muscles.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to CrispyDog's response:
I agree that good nutrition is essential, but I do not agree that sinusitis is caused by incorrect eating habits and the wrong foods. I also do not agree with your laxative recommendation.

CrispyDog replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I wouldn't expect you to agree. Modern medicine is all about turf wars. Healing people, if it ever occurs is incidental to the money making, the prestige and power that goes with the territory.
And not agreeing with my laxitive recommedation is just denial. Logic in physics has it, that when you clean all the crap out of an organism or device such as a lawn-mower...it works again.

The analogy is crude but points directly to the issue.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to CrispyDog's response:
To each his own...I am sorry you are so jaded about modern medicine to claim such generalizations. Some of the things you are doing or recommending is not based on any scientific priniciples and were disproven a century ago, but you have a right to treat yourself as you see fit. Should you ever get appendicitis, I hope you will reconsider modern medicine.

CrispyDog replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks Doc.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.