Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cuts/lesions in nose
Steve0830 posted:
Hi was wondering if I could get some advice before I go back to see my ENT. For the past few years I have had a cut or lesion inside of my nose. It goes back fairly deep and honestly it drives me insane (I feel like I am stuffed up when I am not). During the winter months it gets especially bad (dry conditions I am sure) but it is present during the summer months. I constantly use a saline spray and bactroban ointment. It certainly helps but the issue will not go away. I have used bactroban for close to a year. I probably apply it 6-8 times a day, at least when I am thinking about it. Do I have any hope to have this issue going away or is this something I am going to just have to deal with. I do have a history of allergies and am on Allegra. Thank you!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I would have to physically examine this lesion, Steve, in order to make any type of patient-specfic comments. Basically, if you have had a sore...inside your nose....for many years, this needs to be taken very seriously, perhaps biopsied, cauterized, or surgically removed. Not only is it causing you symptoms, it is causing you anxiety. It will be up to you to share this concern with your ENT so that he/she can take the appropriate steps to have a proper and thorough evaluation. Just a "quick look" is not going to be sufficient, so if the ENT does not "see a problem", see a different ENT for another opinion. A definitive diagnosis is essential for proper treatment.

While allergies can play an underlying role for nasal inflammation, it would not be common to have a sore lasting this long. I can't imagine that this issue cannot be solved....cured, so make sure the ENT takes you seriously.

Let me know what happens....

citypenny responded:
Dr. Moser, I have had sores in my nose for now 2 months..Am presently on strong antibiotic(2nd round) and the raawness/sores are still there. In my mucous are disturbing black threadlike things ranging from onehalf centimenter to one cent. My family doctor took a swab of the back of nose and had a culture done..Showed nothing. I'm presently seeing an ENT who said he figured the black things were nose hairs but to me, they are too long and black. Could I have canker sores in my nose and should be on a viral medication? Please help and give me your diagnosis...White spots appeared after a bout with a cold, sneezing, ichy eyes at the beginning of yr. Now there are raw places in sides of nasal passage.. Thank you in advance.

citypenny responded:
Steve, this is my first time on message board so I hope you get this reply. I've had the same condition for over two months, now.. My nose is constantly burning and I've even lost my sense of smell..This is the first episode for me and, like you, I'm really at my wits end with this. Now, I've taken mucous from my nose and looked at it under a small handheld microscope and magnifying glass..In mucous are these black stringlike things;1/4 centi. to 1 cent. ENT thinks they are nose hairs; ha! They are not 'cause they are like threads. My family doc did a swab; found nothing and i've (past 6 wks) had two rounds of steroids and presently on second antibiotic. I wander if it is canker sores in nose. I'm a retired science teacher so I always have a microscope around.. I've looked on the message board and I believe you and I are experiencing the same problem. Maybe we can manage to compare results or illness outcome on board. Good luck..

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
You can get ulcerative lesions in the nose, but it would be doubtful that an antiviral medication would help unless it was herpetic (herpes simplex). Folliculitis (an infection in the hair follicles), and other mucosal abscesses (even pimples) can occur in the nose. Other than a hair, I would have no idea what those "long, black things" were.

The next step may be for the ENT to perform a biopsy of this nose lesion, but I suspect he/she would like to try these non-surgical methods first.

Do you have allergies? Have you used nasal corticosteroid sprays in the past?

aymztx responded:
did you ever find out what the black string like things were? I have those as well, along with allergy-like attacks(sudden extreme congestion, coughing and difficulty breathing) which after taking any type of decongestant/antihistamine are gone within an hour and do not return for 24-48 hrs. I was tested for allergies about a year and 1/2 ago by an allergist (both back and arm tests) and came up negative for everything. i can not seem to find any common food or air born allergen that triggers them.

I also tend to go through stages of recurring sinusitis that takes months to get rid of (even with steroids,multiple courses of antibiotics, and nasal washes). I've been to two ENTs, two allergy/asthma doctors (both confirm that I have an issue but it's not allergies or polyps), and my primary care physician. I finally gave up and decided I was going to have to live with it... it's so bad that I am unable to hold a job due to having weeks at a time where I am unable to function due to fatigue, congestion and extreme coughing fits.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

johnathan72 replied to aymztx's response:
I also have an issue with my nostrils. I had been attacked at a park last year, and the brawl had left me a deviated septum( only internally noticeable): I was idiotic enough to never get medical attention for it. Occasionally the deviated septum has for a year , has yielded strange scabs. I apologize for the vulgarity but the scabs are very large. They are usually covered in blood and when removed yield a strong stream. They have a black rim and are very cartilage like. Every time I have my nose examined in a general physicals, the doctors wave it off as nothing. What over the counter solutions may improve this congestive issue?

cybare replied to johnathan72's response:

johnathan,

I have a deviated septum, a souvenir from the 70s and 80s in Hollywood. At the first sign of congestion, I use a nasal wash
and mucous solvent called Alkalol to break down and clear out the scabs before they get to be so huge and and mutant looking that one wants to assign them alien names.
Stay diligent with this program and your sleep will be vastly improved as will the risk of sinus infections.
Good Luck!

Cybare

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.