Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
constant sinus issues/ear ringing
allypeanut1964 posted:
My sinuses are driving me nuts. I have had a constant mucous problem in my nose for months now. I am constantly getting a very thick nasal discharge and am always blowing my nose. Also, my ears have been ringing ever since this started. The doctor has tried antibiotics/steroid nasal spray and I have taken Claratin D and also Zurtek. And, yet it still persists. What in the world could be the problem. Do you think thick nasal discharge is related to the ear ringing? Also, when my nose seems mucousy (sp) and i sniff, my ears crackle or pop. Thank you.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Without examining you and reviewing your medical history, I can't be sure, but it would seem logical that your ringing is somehow connected to the post nasal drainage. The pharyngeal opening to the eustachian tubes are often compromised from inflammation and swelling -- caused by this drainage.

Have you seen an ENT? Have you had a CT scan of your sinuses? If not, it is time to take your evaluation and treatment to a higher level. Sinusitis is not an easy problem to cure -- often taking months of antibiotics in some people. The first step, however, is to get the CT scan to see the extent of your disease.

allypeanut1964 responded:
Thank you. I have not had a CT of my sinuses done. I will make that appointment. Thank you.

Just an update. I went to the dr last Friday and she ordered sinus x-rays and put me on a 10 day antibiotic. The results came back negative on the x-rays for sinusitis. I didn't think that an x-ray would show mucuos or show if I had a polyp. Is that true? . I do have more mucuos since being on the antibiotic. I have done my neti pot and one time after, I got a bloody nose for about 15 minutes. About 30 minutes after that, I blew my nose and a big (nickel size) glob of blood came out. Where in the world did that come from?

The doctor said that if I wasn't better after the antibiotics were gone to call and she would send me to an allergist. Does this sound right? I asked if I should have a CAT scan done and she said she would send me to the allergist first. I'm confused!

Your doctor was able to examine you and determine the best course of action, based on what was seen. It is true that a sinus xray is not a sensitive as a sinus CT scan. A plain xray would not likely show a polyp.

The blood can be from your sinuses or from anywhere in your nose or throat, usually the result of inflammation.

I am not sure why you are being sent to an allergist, unless you are showing signs of allergy (itchy nose/eyes/throat, wheezing, watery nasal drainage, hives, etc). I would think an ENT would be more appropriate for someone with sinus issues and tinnitus, but again, I did not have the opportunity of examining you.

No, I don't have any allergy symptoms (itchy eyes, nose etc). I was having pea green thick mucous in my nose. Now since I've been on the antibiotic, the mucous is clear and alot thinner and more of it! So, other than the mucous in my nose, I also have a cough due to the drainage. So maybe the antibiotics are working? But, I'm done with those on Sunday. Should I be on them longer?

That is for your doctor to decide, but sinusitis is notorious for relapses. It is not uncommon to have them "95% cured", and have another infection (usually the same one coming back) a few weeks later. I typically treat them for longer than ten days. I have treated individual patients for a month or more. In my own case, I had to remain on antibiotics for three MONTHS to orchestrated a cure.

The sinuses are bone, and bones tend to have relatively-poor blood supply -- the only transport for antibiotics to get in there. Stopping therapy before being cured is not really a good idea, so if you are not 100% better at the end of your current treatment, you need to contact your medical provider again.

meesh313 responded:
Thank you Dr Moser, your info has been helpful since I am suffering a similar thing to the original poster.

I was diagnosed with sinusitis 2 days ago (this is not common for me), and my doctor perscribed Cipro 500mg 2 times a day for 7 days. Is it normal to be more congested now than I was before starting the anitbiotics? My mucous is clear but I am so stuffed up! Is this just the infection breaking up and draining?

I don't know....it could be that your sinusitis is not completely treated....it has only been two days. Short courses (7 days) often does not do it for more severe cases, so if your symptoms have not improved by the end of the course, you need to see your medical provider again.

Do you have allergies? Has your doctor tried you on any nasal corticosteroid sprays for the stuffiness? Have your tried or been recommended to take a decongestant? Do you use nasal saline sprays?

rockyriver responded:
Are there not any natural remedies. I have the same problem.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.