Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Phantom odors
kaypeeoh posted:
For at least 15 years I go through periods when I smell things that aren't there. Sometimes the odors are recognizable scents, like fresh paint, and sometimes the scents aren't recognizable. I've been examined for this complaint and radiographed to check for nasal polyps or tumors. Taking large doses of zinc has been recommended by online friends. I've researched 'Olfactory hallucinations' on medline and found it is often associated with schizophrenia. I'm 53 yrs old, in better health than most; I've run over 60 marathons.

Any ideas what could be causing this? It's not a serious concern for me, I'm just curious about it.

Thanks,

kevin

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No, Kevin, I do not have any way of determining the cause of your phantom odors. They may be real odors coming from your mouth, nasopharynx or sinuses (Did you have a sinus CT scan?), or they can truly be aberrations of a complicated brain. In this case your mind is misinterpreting signals of a smell, where on odor does not exist. This is a very complicated problem to solve.

I will post a medical reference for you....

Here is one....

emedicine.medscape.com/article/861242-overview

You will find other references for "phantom smells" using the Google Search engine.

kaypeeoh responded:
Thank you for the replies. I had already seen most of what was included but I will try Zinc for a while.

kevin

I thought I was having phantom smells at one time....

Turned out to be one of my kid's shoes!

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.