Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Severe sore throat after endoscopy?
danceteacher007 posted:
I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place, but I'm really hoping for more answers than I have been able to find elsewhere. My fiance had an endoscopy done last Friday, and afterward had what he described as a "severe sore throat." He was told this would go away in a day or two, and not to worry. However, today is Tuesday, he is not seeing his physician until Friday, and upon calling and complaining of still having a severe sore throat, he was told to take Tylenol, and then practically hung up on after asking to speak with a doctor instead of the receptionist (who probably shouldn't be giving out medical advice anyways right?) I have watched him try to eat, and for the past couple days he has only managed a couple of bites of food. He is drinking as much water as he can, however he still says this is hard. He describes swallowing even water as being "like swallowing nails on fire." Is this normal after an endoscopy? I have never had one and this is his first one as well. If this is normal, what can we do until Friday to help him have the ability to eat? We've tried Tylenol, and Cepacol cough drops, and everything else we can think of and nothing seems to help him. I'm just hoping for some answers here. Thank you all for your time.

danceteacher007 responded:
I totally forgot to mention it, but he has said for the past couple days as well that the pain is also in his ears sometimes. I know there are various ear/throat tubes and stuff, and maybe that's all it is, but I don't want to mistake something serious for something less serious...if that makes sense.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
What was the reason for the endoscopy?

This is not a comfortable procedure, so he is most likely experiencing pain caused from the inflammation of the procedure. Did they do a biopsy of something?

Throat pain can be referred to the ears, but I really have no way of determining if this is the case for your fiance. I don't know anything about his case.

He needs to call his doctor and INSIST on speaking to him personally...the receptionist tries to protect him, but this is an important issue that needs to be addressed by the person that did the endoscopy, not the person who answers the phone. The doctor may want to see him sooner, or at least give him something more appropriate for his discomfort.

There are much better pain medications that plain 'ol Tylenol, so there is no need for him to suffer. Pain can only be counterproductive at this point.

Thank you so very, very much for your reply!!

The reason for his endoscopy was to evaluate an ulcer he has had. He's been suffering from dilated cardiomyopathy and his doctor told him they wanted to rule out a couple of his symptoms. (I wasn't there with him at the appointment, so I only know what he has told me, I'm sorry.)

After reading your post (sorry it took so long for the reply) we did manage to get ahold of the doctor (took a major argument though unfortunately) and he prescribed some magic mouthwash. It helped immensely.

I really do appreciate and thank you so much for your time!! It means alot to me. =>

You are very welcome. I hope things are better now...

All healed up now, thank you so much for everything!!

You are very welcome and thanks for the follow-up

nikkitickie replied to danceteacher007's response:
Hi Danceteacher,

I just had an endoscopy performed on Monday and I am experiencing the same thing your husband went through. I can barely eat anything. Its like swallowing glass if I eat any food. I have trouble with drinking both cold or warm liquids. I am miserable. I contacted my doctor the day after my procedure and he told me it was too early to say anything was wrong and told me to use gargle with warm salt water, use chloroseptic spray and cough drops. It is now Thursday and I am still not able to eat anything. I have called my doctor back today and the receptionist are giving me the run around about talking to him saying he is busy with patients. I am going on a cruise on Saturday and I want to be ok to eat, but I do not know what to do. What was the name of the magic mouth wash your husband use?

Thank you,

Nikkitickie

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to nikkitickie's response:
The "magic mouthwash" is a prescription, Nikki, and I do not know if this would be appropriate. Read my other response to your issue, and bug your doctor until he responds.

Sing4more replied to nikkitickie's response:
I, too, had an endoscopy (ercp) done yesterday. They placed 2 stints and removed a stone. I was out, under general anesthesia, during the procedure. In recovery, I told the nurse that my throat was extremely sore, and she told me that my procedure could not have caused my sore throat. Well, today someone from the hospital called to "check up" on me. I, again told her that my throat is extremely sore, and she again informed me that my sore throat is definitely not due in any way to my procedure. Although I do not hold a medical degree, it would seem reasonable that placing a medical instrument down one's throat could cause some sort of irritation. It seems like the pain is getting worse, and I feel like I am "swallowing glass" when I am drinking anything. I called the Dr.'s office because I am also having terrible heartburn, and haven't been able to get rid of the "air" they used during the procedure. The Dr. called me in a rx for the heartburn (hasn't worked yet), but he also ignored my sore throat. I can't eat, and I can barely swallow a pill. Is this from the endoscope? Any suggestions?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Sing4more's response:
I really have no way of knowing if yoru worsening throat discomfort is due to the endoscopy alone....I just do not have enough specific information about your case, and of course, I have no way of examining you over the Internet. I would not be prudent for me, or any medical provider, to blindly guess about these very important things.

What are you taking for pain? Many analgesics can cause "heartburn". As far as your sore throat is concerned, the only one that knows your case is your surgeon. The doctor may not be concerned, but a worsening sore throat is really not expected....people are supposed to be better; not worse.

Do the best that you can to stay hydrated. Sleep more upright allow that air to pass. What medication are you taking for the heartburn?

Sing4more replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
My throat is finally getting a little better. I have been using chloraseptic spray. I was prescribed Bentyl for my gas. That may be getting some better, but when I eat, the pain and pressure underneath my sternum get really bad. I am taking Roxicet for pain. I do not take NSAIDS due to ulcers. I am also taking Gas-X (simethicone) for gas. I also take Prevacid.

I know that someone would actually have to see a patient to make a diagnosis. I was just frustrated when the nurse in the recovery room told me that "The scope could not possibly have caused your throat to become irritated."-More or less called me a liar twice, I saw this site where it seems that other people have experienced a sore throat post-endoscopy. I also read online several sites such as Mayo Clinic list a sore throat as one of the possible side effects of endoscopy, and an ERCP which lasted one hour or more could have caused a sore throat. I think that the nursing staff should be aware of what to expect from patients they are "nursing".

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Sing4more's response:
I am pleased that you are feeling better today....

Leslie_Ellen replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Dr. Moser:
I, too, have a severe soar throat after an endoscopy that I had yesterday morning. I called my family doctor to get a pain killer after taking 2 extra-stregth Tylenols did nothing. I have been on Tramadol yesterday & today. Now, tonight I am still in a lot of pain, eating only cereal, crackers, & popsickles. The pain has let up only a slight amount. The pain is not in the back of my throat, but more like the chest region of my esophagus. The doctor did the endoscopy after having more & more trouble with acid reflux, despite being on the highest dose of Prevacid & dietary changes. He did find a stricture. It is 9mm. I don't know where in my esophagus this narrow region is exactly, but I am guessing its where all this pain is at. My family doctor said to call the gi doc's office on Monday if I'm still having trouble. I had the endoscopy done on Friday. Is this something to be concerned about or typical for finding a stricture & what else can I do to relieve some of this pain?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Leslie_Ellen's response:
I am sure there are other things that can be done for your pain, but you will need to discuss them with your doctor since I do not know the details of your case.

It is really not surprising to have pain after endoscopy, so you should be feeling better in a few days.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.