Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
collapsed sinus cavity
manda_rose927 posted:
about two months ago i started noticing that my left eye was farther back than my right eye, and that it was not following my right eye simutaneously when i would look to the right or left.

at first i ignored it, but then the placement of my left eye began to be much more noticeable, and my friends and family recommended i go see a doctor.

I was referred to an opthamologist (who is also an osteopath, not a regular MD), and had x-rays and an mri done. the mri and x-rays showed that it was actually a SINUS problem, and that not only did i have a deviated septum, but my left sinus cavity was significantly smaller than my right (about half the size). it was also determined that my left eye had sunken back into my head about 3 millimeters, and now my eyelid also droops a bit.

the doctor said that i just had an underdeveloped sinus cavity, and that there was nothing he could do to fix the sinking of my eye; that if any surgery was done it would be considered "cosmetic"

I haven't gotten a second opinion, but there is a significant difference in where my eye sits in my head, and it is getting worse.

I am 23 years old, and i don't understand why it would take this long for an "underdeveloped" sinus cavity to have an effect on my eyeball and where it sits in my head.

last year i had a direct eye injury to my left eye, but it was also determined through the x-rays that there was no damage to my eye socket whatsoever.

do you have any advice or know what's going on with me?
Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No, I am sorry, but I don't really have any profound advice based on the information you have posted. If you did have an eye injury, then perhaps this was the underlying cause, rather than a congenital problem. Remember, you have only had ONE opinion, from one ENT. I would strongly suggest that you can a second ENT opinion -- perhaps at a large, university-based medical center ENT department where you can take advantage of several, collaborative ENTs.
Dancequeen4 responded:
What you are describing is exactly what happened to me last year. I am 24 years old and my right eye started to slowly develop the symptoms you describe. I went to a specialist here and did a CT scan. My entire sinus was clogged and collapsed and I was diagnosed with silent sinus syndrome. I had a right maxillary antrostomy performed. The doctor was not sure what caused it. However, I did fracture my nose a couple years back although like you my eye socket was not harmed. I underwent a rhinoplasty and septoplasty after my nose injury. The doctor said that silent sinus syndrome has been known to occur after nose jobs. Another option is that you are born with it or there was some incident that closed off your opening ot that sinus. I stil have not got any reasoning as to how mine happened and after reading all the research online I am not sure either. Anyhow, there has to be reasoning as to why the sinus is smaller but more importantly why now you are seeing a difference. I have to undergo reconstructive surgery for my eye because my orbital bone is so thin and bowed now from the silent sinus syndrome. My enopthalmos is 3 mm as well. I understand your distress!!! blah..I would keep seeing doctors until you get definite of luck!
Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Dancequeen4's response:
Thank you for posting about this.....a relatively, uncommon condition. I hope you are doing well now. You have been through quite a lot of surgery......

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 62 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.