Skip to content
Minor never ending sore throat.
2005vette posted:
Hi, I'm a 22 year old male and about 3 1/2 weeks ago I got a really bad sore throat and my ears got completely plugged. This lasted for 3 days until I got on a 10 day regimen of antibiotics. 3 days after I was off the antibiotics I stared getting that same feeling in my throat. Now I've been off the antibiotics for over a week and I have a very minor sore throat that will not go away. Along with it is a very minor runny nose. Should I go back to the doctor? I've had problems in the past with strep. I just don't want to blow $130.00 if I don't have to. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Brady

2005vette responded:
I forgot to add that throughout all of this I never had a fever.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No one wants to waste money on an unnecessary medical visit, but unfortunately, it is not possible to blindly diagnose you over the Internet, based solely on the brief information in your posting. You could have a simple viral infection now, but this is just a guess.

Did the doctor do a Strep test initially, or just treat you? What antibiotic did you take? Have you been tested for mono? Mono or mononucleosis is also a VIRAL infection that does not respond to any antibiotic. Strep tends to be more severe with a bright red throat with lots of "red dots" (petechiae), nasty breath, and fever.

Gargle. Take some ibuprofen. Wait a few more days. A simple virus will improve on day four or so; mono will most likely last longer.

2005vette responded:
They never tested for strep. I took amoxicilin. I have not been tested for mono.

I have no fever. Its been 3 weeks and the severe sore throat went away after the amoxicilin but came back two days later very mildly and has not left. Its been minor for about 6 days now.

Would amoxicilin have made the sever sore throat and plugged ears go away in one day of taking it if it were mono?

Thanks, Brady

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Basically, no one is really sure if you had Strep or not....especially at this point after being treated. Your doctor can order an ASO titer to see if you HAD Strep, and of course, have blood count and a mono test at the same time. Your response to amoxicillin does not mean you had Strep, even if you improved, since a viral infection would have resolved during this time period as well - antibiotics or not.

There are over 200 different viruses that have the capability of causing a sore throat. There are no rules that you cannot get a NEW virus back-to-back, or more than one virus at the same time.

Since you are still having a sore throat, your doctor will need to take your evaluation up a notch and do a few more diagnostic tests.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.