post mastoidectomy complications
wrenchboy posted:
Hi, I am a 42yo male in good health who had a radical mastoidectomy when I was 10. Though my hearing loss has been substantial in the affected ear it has been something I've gotten used to. I have been prone to infections during cold and flu seasons ever since (about twice a year) which have cleared with antibiotics and drops but have noticed increased drainage this year which antibiotics and drops have changed the smell of but not the volume. I know for a large # of people this is a fact of life but are there new procedures available to reduce the drainage without addressing the hearing loss and are they viable at my age? Thanks
Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I am not a surgeon (my practice is primary care), but I have no heard of any new procedures. You most likely have an "open mastoid cavity", and this will need periodic cleaning the rest of your life. You may want to bring this topic up to your ENT -- someone that knows the details of your case.
onlyears responded:
Drainage after a "radical mastoidectomy" usually occurs from an "open" middle ear cavity. A revision surgery that closes the middle ear cavity is available from any doctor who specializes in ear surgery.
Poor healing of the lining of the "cavity" is also a reason for chronic drainage. Revision of the cavity lining with a processed collagen material usually allows for proper healing and results in a dry skin-lined cavity. Hope this helps.