Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hair in the Throat
soccerdaz10 posted:
I have been sick for the normal amount of time about 4 days. All of my symptoms include, stuffy nose, sore throat, minor cough...and my least favorite, I have the sensation in the back of my throat likened to a hair caught somewhere and you can't get it out. Please don't laugh, it's driving me nuts. I have done everything, gargling, drinking hot liquids, sticking my finger down my throat, using my tooth brush to try and get it out, and NOTHING is working. I cannot go to the doctor and this thing in the back of my throat is making my insane. I have no idea what it is and I cannot stand it any more. Like I said it feels like a hair is caught in my throat and will not let go. When I breath I can feel it there, when I swallow I can feel it there, when I'm sitting and doing nothing I can feel it. Also when I drink and put my head to one side...it moves to that side of my throat. HELP!!!!!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I know you are frustrated, my friend, but there is absolutely no way for me to determine the reason for this throat sensation you are feeling. I don't have any way of knowing if you have hair...or something else in your throat. I don't know anything about you, your medical history, or have any way of examining you. Basically, I can't diagnose you over the Internet, based solely on the brief information you have posted, nor can I treat you across cyberspace. My heart goes out to you, but my clinical hands are unable to touch you.

I don't know why you cannot seek hands-on medical care, but that does not change the situation posed by the Internet. I can offer you advice....

If you sustained a laceration or a broken arm, you would urgently need expert medical care, and you would find a way....you would have to. If you are going insane with these symptoms and you have tried "everything" you can do at home, then what other options do you have other than seeking proper medical care? Yes, medical care is expensive...or inconvenient, but this is really the ONLY way you can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated. It would be ideal for you to see an ENT, or at least a primary care medical provider -- someone that can physically examine your throat to see what is bugging you.

soccerdaz10 responded:
I realize that if I'm not in front of you there's not much you can do...and I thank you for your quick response...perhaps there is a clinic or something I can go to. I just was curious if you had an idea of something I could try at home...anything. Basically I've stuck anything and everything Ican down my throat get this whatever it is out. The only relief I get is when I eat or cough, and only then it is for a swallow. I'm just looking for some help not necessarily a diagnosis.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
You have to have that diagnosis first....I don't know if you have a hair, another foreign body, or just inflammation in your throat. Inflammation can send "false signals" to your brain giving you the impression there is an object, or a hair, but in reality, there is not. Again, I neither one of us know what you are dealing with....Offering you suggestions to dislodge a hair when a hair isn't there, is not the way to go. Besides, you have tried these things.

Try soothing your throat with some honey....or glycerine based cough lozenges. If it wasn't irritated and inflammed before you started poking your finger in there, it may be now. Ibuprofen can help inflammation, but neither of these two things is going to likely dislodge an irritated foreign body. Start making some contingency plans to get medical care, like finding a free clinic or a place to seek care.

Tamia313 responded:
I know exactly what you are talking about.. although my occurance happened before I had other cold symptoms. I went to the Dr...and he said that my taste buds were inflamed and that was the reason for that terrible feeling. If you look all the way in the back of your tongue you should see big circles.. I was told it was nothing to worry about and nothing you can do specifically. just keep gargling to not add any more germs. (Mine lasted a good 10 days) I hope I helped... I was going crazy too! Feel better

Tamia313 responded:
Sorry forgot to add - after 2 days my cold symptoms appeared. Just like you do. Feel better

soccerdaz10 responded:
Thanks. Generally I'm a very healthy person. I eat healthy and I excersize (well not when I'm sick) but this time my body just decided to quit on me for a while. Actually, lately I've been feeling much better. The hair feeling is still a little bit there, but none-the-less going away. I guess I had just reached my whits end that day. I have heard of a free clinic where I live, so I might end up going there for a check up. Thanks for feeling my pain. Well my hair to say the lest. Lol. And Thank you Dr. for your concern. I appreciate your suggestions. Glad I joined Webmd.

wellnessmom4 responded:
Glad you are feeling better and the sensation is lessening. Inflammation back there can definitely make it feel as though something is stuck in your throat or on the back of your tongue. I recently went thru this and, you're right, it's enough to drive you crazy. Honey drops helped to take the "edge" off the sensation for me.

hansobavuong responded:
you need to stay up all night no sleep until u get sore throat or sneezing. After that sleep like 4 hours wake up next day then stay up until u feel like sore throat. then u try your best suck out everything and spit it out make sure u did in the sink. it happen to me twice when my hair got stuck and i able to get it out by that way. make sure u put the fan on infront of your face that how it help u feel getting sore throat. hope it help get the hair out because i know how it feel it uncomfortable.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.