Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bad Taste In Back of Mouth
An_187421 posted:
Hi I have a bad taste in the back of my throat. I taste it almost all the time and I even taste it when I eat. There is also a white slimy looking thing on one of my tonsils and it doesn?t stay in the same spot. My tonsils are swollen but I don?t have a sore throat or any pain at all. I had mono in December but my throat was fine when I got better. I have had this taste in my mouth for about a week now and it seems to be getting worse. Recently I have been getting these small white semi hard things that drop in the back of my throat that I have to spit out. They smell really bad and they feel like food particles when they are in the back of my throat. I have only encountered two of these so far. I have used mouth wash, chewed gum, and sucked on mints but I can?t get rid of the taste. I was wondering if you had any idea of what it could be. Thanks

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Your bad taste may be due to many things, from postnasal drainage associated with sinusitis to ???

However, those "white, slimy-looking things" that you eluded to, may be tonsilliths.

Some tonsils have holes (crypts) in them, like the craters on the moon. Food particles and other debris will become trapped, calcify (become hard), decompose (hence the bad taste and smell), and dislodge from time to time. They can also cause your tonsils to enlarge and become inflamed.
[?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Other than physically dislodging these "tonsilliths" (the name for those white chunks), and gargling after EVERY meal, the only definitive cure is the surgical removal of the tonsils "013 a definitive measure that is not usually necessary.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Hummm...I posted a response, but it didn't show up, so please excuse me in the infancy of the new Exchange if you get a duplicate posting.

There can be many things that can result in a bad taste in your mouth...For me, that would be taxes, but in your case, it could be dental problems, postnasal drainage from sinusitis, reflux, etc. Another common cause would be tonsilliths -- I believe this is those "white, slimy things" you are experiencing.

Please read:
[?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Some tonsils have hole (crypts) in them, like the craters on the moon. Food particles and other debris will become trapped, calcify (become hard), decompose (hence the bad taste and smell), and dislodge from time to time. They can also cause your tonsils to enlarge and become inflamed.

Other than physically dislodging these "tonsilliths" (the name for those white chunks), and gargling after EVERY meal, the only definitive cure is the removal of the tonsils - a measure that is really not necessary in most cases.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.