Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sick for over a week. What's happening to my body?
bicoastalSURF posted:
Hello.

I am typically a very healthy person who rarely gets sick. But this winter I have been sick for the duration. I am trying to kick this cold and I don't know if there is something more serious going on.

A little background info: I live in New York having moved there from living my entire life in Southern California. This winter had been exceptionally long and very cold. Usually I get sick once a year, if that. I am a competitive swimmer who is also in graduate school and keep a very hectic schedule so I do not sleep a lot (typically I get 4-6 hours of sleep a night).

On to the symptoms: about 5 months ago (right before finals) my lymph nodes in my neck became VERY swollen and I was having trouble swallowing. I was put on the Z-pack and the swelling went down in 2-3 days. Two weeks after that I developed a bad cold (fever, runny nose, bad cough, and sore throat). I felt tired a lot but I thought that I just needed to rest. Fast forward a month and I developed another sore throat. I rested and felt better within 1 week. Now I have been sick with the current cold for almost 2 weeks. It hurts to swallow (but only on my right side) and I have a cough, bad runny nose with yellow/green mucus, and lots of congestion. I am trying to rest and get a good amount of sleep but these symptoms won't go away. Is it possible that I may have had mono when I first got sick and this is an aftermath of that? I am worried, because I usually never get sick but this winter I have been sick throughout. Thank you for reading this.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Yes, as a matter of fact, as I read you posting, I though "mono". You can get an EBV panel -- a sensitive mono test that will reveal if you have active mono, or a recent infection. Another possibility to consider would be chronic sinusitis.

It would be in your best interest to get a CBC (complete blood count), as well. You have been ill for much too long, so a search for underlying reasons would be very appropriate.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.