Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
chunk of mucus/phlegm?
pellet1 posted:
I have been sick for a few days. I went to the doctor when my throat was very swollen, and she said for me to do a nasal wash and gave me a prescription for flonase. I am not feeling much better, though my throat is not as swollen. This morning, I coughed up a large piece of what I guess to be phlegm...? To me, it seemed large, maybe about the size of a cherry tomato. It was a solid mass, but soft when I touched it, with a yellowish/grey color and had specks of blood in it. Not a bright red, but more of a rust colored. I am not sure if it was from my sinuses or my chest, as I have not have much production from my chest, but it seemed really large to come from my sinuses! Otherwise over the past few days, I've coughed up greenish/yellow mucus, but only when I pulled it from my nose and into my throat.?

Is this something I should go back to my doctor about or is it normal?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
That phlegm or material could have come from many areas...your nasopharynx or lungs. Sometimes, this firm material is a tonsillith -- an accumlation of food and other debris trapped in holes or crypts in the tonsil surface. It could be from your sinus area as well.

Unfortunately, I have no way of determining the source or significance of this event based solely on your posting, so I would suggest that you discuss this with your medical provider -- someone that knows you and your case, and of course, someone that has the ability to examine you first-hand.

dthdfyingspceboy responded:
I had the same thing happen. I was sick with strep/mono and perhaps a sinus infection, i don't really know. but it was a large yellow/gray gelatinous chunk with specks of blood. i'm pretty sure mine came from my sinus because i was coughing up phlegm from my sinuses at the time and then it just seemed to fall into the back of my throat. i told my doctor about it when i went back for him to check on how i was recovering from the mono and he didn't seem to think much of it. it still perturbs me to think about.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.