Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
My ear gets clogged...flush and out comes cottage cheese stuff..HELP!
libertyj77 posted:
I have been to the ENT several times. First they said I had a middle and outer ear infection and gave me antibiotic drops and pills. Finished them in June 2009 and it still got worse to the point I had no hearing in my right ear. I went to my family doctor and they flushed my ear and this yucky chunky cream colored stuff (that looked rotten) came out. I could then hear for a few days before it clogged again. THey sent me to another ENT who treated my ear with 2 different antibiotics over the course of two months but it kept coming back. In January 2010 it was in both ears taking turns making me def until I flushed it with alchohol water, vinegar water, or garlic oil. My nutritional dr said maybe yeast. Non the less everything i try doesnt get rid of it. Sometimes it makes my ears smell. Now Im pregnant and this is driving me crazy! What is it? What do I do?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
That cheesy material still could be cerumen (earwax) which comes in a variety of unappealing colors and consistencies. And, yes, it could be yeast. The ENT should have cultured that material to see if it was bacterial or fungal. Either way, you may need to flush out your ears (warm water) from time to time. By the way, does your ears ITCH?

I think the vinegar/water combo is good. I am not a big fan of the alcohol (too drying) or the garlic oil (too stinky). There is a product called Domeboro otic that may help. Your doctor can give you a prescription.

libertyj77 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
It usually doesnt itch. It just seems that it will never go away. Ive had it for 8 months now. grrr.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to libertyj77's response:
Ask about the Domeboro solution....

012belle replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hello! I had the same problem as libertyj77, but now that my ear has been flushed out, water has continued to come out of my ear for the past twenty-four hours. I have to wipe it every fifteen minutes or so. Can an ear really hold that much water?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to 012belle's response:
Yes, but it depends on how much water was trapped and the size of your ear canal. The ear canal also makes a bit of its own moisture.

shell81 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hello I am so glad I found this. I am not the only one going throw this I have had this going on for 5 months and counting and it all started with swimmer ear its been driving me crazy unlike the other post I do have really bad ITCHING in my left ear I have no problems with my right ear, can you point me in the right direction on getting my ear back to heath? Thank you
Michelle P.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.