Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Best OTC Medicine for Sore Throat Relief
An_187445 posted:
Hi!

I have a nasty cold and my throat is very sore. What OTC medications work best for temporary relief?

Thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Do you have any idea of the cause of your sore throat? Strep? Mononucleosis? Post-nasal drainage from a sinus infection? Tonsillitis? If your throat is very sore, it may be in your best interest to see a medical provider so you can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated.

If you are just looking for symptomatic control, then your primary concern is PAIN. Ibuprofen, taken at therapeutic doses, can relieve INFLAMMATION and pain. Gargling with warm saline (salt water solution) can help. You can take a teaspoonful of honey, or even use over the counter throat lozenges that contain benzocaine.

Relieving the pain may not necessarily cure the disease, so think about seeing a medical provider if you are not getting better by day four.

StumpyGrumpy replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for the quick response. Actually went to the doctor this morning. Day 2 of feeling icky and just couldn't wait.

Seems like it's a combination of allergies and a cold "that's going around." Took ibuprofen and went the honey route as well. My own doc's suggestions as well as your own.

Next time I'll have some benzocaine lozenges waiting for me in the pantry. That's a good tip.

Thanks again for the response. Wonderful addition to my usual care.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to StumpyGrumpy's response:
You are very welcome and I hope that you feel better soon.

kaylakk0505 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
have strep and was just wondering the best way to get rid of the pain besides the antbiotics

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to kaylakk0505's response:
How do you know you have Strep and not a nasty viral infection? Both will likely resolve in time by your immune system, but Strep has this nasty habit of occasionally causing some very serious complications, like heart or kidney involvement.

Pain can be improved by anti-inflammatory medicines, like ibuprofen (assuming you can use it), or by prescription pain medications. You can gargle with warm saline. Some people get benefit from OTC throat sprays or lozenges, but I typically don't feel they help very much.

If you truly have lab-diagnosed Strep....then the Standard of Care is that you be treated. If you have self-diagnosed, then you need to consider that your assessment may or may not be accurate.

chandan_cs responded:
my remedy for sore throat is to have 1 spoon of honey mix with ginger juice. But it should be taken once a day because it's very strong. this is a very good sore throat remedy

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to chandan_cs's response:
Does this concoction "cure" anything, or is it just to relieve discomfort? Most sore throats are viral or allergic and typically will improve on their own. A sore throat caused by bacteria, such as Strep, or a viral one caused by mononucleosis, may require medical intervention, for both the accurate diagnosis and a patient-specific treatment.

An_248157 responded:
my remedy for sore throat is You can have 1 spoon of honey mix with ginger juice. But it should be taken once a day because it's very strong. Itis a very good sore throat remedy

chandan_cs replied to kaylakk0505's response:
  • Put 1 tablespoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and do gargle, at least 4-5 times a day. This is an effective sore throat remedy

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.