Help! Mucus won't come out.
phlegminthroat posted:
I recently just got over a nasty cold and now have all this mucus trapped in my throat. No matter how hard I cough, I can not get it to come out. It is really bothering me. When I swallow, my stomach starts to hurt. I haven't been sick for a few days now and have yet to get rid of any of the phlegm, which is worrying me. I've taken 7 Maximum Strength Mucinex tablets so far and it has done absolutely nothing. Total waste of $13. I've tried self-induced vomiting a few times but that didn't work. What can I do?

Is the only way to expel the mucus is by coughing? Won't it eventually pass through the system as waste?

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I do not know if you are a man or a woman, but women seemed to have a considerable difficulty coughing up phlegm.....Men, on the other hand, develop this skill into an art form.

You have two ways to deal with it....cough it up, or "melt it down" so you can swallow it. Since you are having difficulting the the "hocking department", I would suggest the following:

1. Be well-hydrated. Drink lots of water, especially warm liquids (like tea). The combination of water will decrease the viscosity (stickiness) of your mucous, and the heat will help it dissipate.

2. Use a cool mist humidifier or steam vaporizer.

3. Use saline nasal spray often.

4. Gargle with warm salt water -- not too strong, but just a 1/4 tsp of salt to 8 oz of warm water.

And...hang in there. Colds last about a week. Assuming you do not have a secondary sinus infection causing post-nasal drainage, you should be better soon. See your medical provider if you do not...