Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Pain in neck under jaw and tongue
    dbigot31 posted:
    A year ago I had a total thyroidectomy and learned I had Papillary Carcinoma. The cancer was contained in the thyroid so I had no treatments of any kind after removal. About 5 months ago I started having pain under my tongue/ under jaw and was told by endocrine Dr doing ultrasound that the pain was in the Salivary gland and there was a lymph node on it. I went to ENT and had CT with contrast. Nothing showed up. There has never been swelling but pain is terrible. I can't hardly eat and have dropped 21lbs without trying. Hurts to use my tongue to chew and mouth is so dry & have trouble swallowing.DR said there was nothing he could do. I am still losing weight and hurting. I also have dry/painful eyes, extreme fatigue, GERD, Glaucoma, Painful joints, And trouble concentrating and am having trouble reading. I have started to read from right to left instead of L to R. I have no idea what is going on and sometimes feel like I am going crazy. Now I have noticed a twiching in my muscles at times. I had to drop insurance after cancer (900.00 a month cobra) and can't find anyone to insure me because I one time had cancer. I don't have any idea what Dr I should go to now. MD, Endocrine, ENT, Or Gastro Dr. I ran across Sjogrens Syndrome the other day and wondered if that could be what I have. I would appreciate any ideas you might have and where I should start to find out whats going on. An insurance agent told me to sign up on disability because no insurance company would insure me. I feel like I am at my wits end. Thank you.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    As much as I would like to help you, my friend, your medical condition is extremely complicated -- well beyond my primary care areas of expertise. My heart truly goes out to you because of your lack of insurance, so I would encourage you to explore avenues so that you can get proper medical care.

    Rather than try and self-diagnose, or self-refer to specialty care, I would suggest that you find a good internist to try and put your array of symptoms in perspective. Someone will need to review your extensive medical records, so it would be in your best interest to collect them. If you are seeking disability, you will need a doctor in order to start this process.
    dbigot31 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Thank you so much for your reply...The reason I mentioned the Dr's above is because I have one in all of those fields due to my Thyroid cancer and the GERD.. I didn't know if I should go back to one of them or go to a different kind of DR. My MD Dr is a Dr of internal medicine...Should I get an appointment back with him and go from there? I am trying to save office fees to Dr's I don't need at the moment.. I really hope one of them can look at everything thats going on and see if there is a connection or if I have more than one problem. I really do appreciate you taking the time to write me back.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to dbigot31's response:
    Start with the internist.....this is probably the most cost-effective way to put all of those symptoms in perspective. Let the internist decide when, or if, you need to seek more specialty care services.

    I wish you the very best and I am sorry that I could not be more helpful to you.
    dbigot31 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Thank you again!! This gives me a start and thats what I needed..Hopefully I'll soon know what's going on..Thank you and God bless!!
    FullofInfo responded:
    I guess seeing in hindsight that this was posted over two years ago, my comment would mostly be for people stumbling upon this thread. When I read it though I immediately thought of an odd syndrome I had just read about and didn't realize was so prevalent; Sjogren's syndrome.

    I have included the basic Wikipedia page: View Thread
    artmomjeannie responded:
    I am having pain in my tongue and under my jaw on the left, and found this info via WebMD's symptom checker:
    Salivary Duct Obstruction (Sialolithiasis) OverviewSalivary duct obstruction occurs when small stones form in the salivary glands. These stones plug up the ducts, like a clog in a drain. The backed up saliva causes swelling and pain, often under the tongue or jaw. Salivary stones are uncomfortable but harmless.
    Chronic bacterial infections and dry mouth -- from conditions like Sj?gren's syndrome or medicines such as antidepressants, antihistamines, or antipsychotics -- can cause salivary stones.

    --I think mine is due to dry mouth from medications.

    Helpful Tips

    Help me some one please i need help with my son
    My son is 10 months old and when he was a month he had hopping cough and i took him to the doctors 3 times and they didnt pick up on it so ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.