Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Recurring Swollen Lymph Nodes
aprettythought posted:
On December 14, 2008, I noticed I noticed a rather large lump on the back, right side of my neck. It was bulging and relatively hard. It was also incredibly tender to touch. But to be honest, I didn?t think too much about it. A day later there were 5 bumps spaced apart but mostly in a straight line. They began behind my right ear and followed down to the area where my neck and shoulder meet. That night I was very hot, had a splitting headache on the right side of my head and I was also incredibly nauseous. But I had no other symptoms. The next morning I went to the doctor. He checked my white cell count, which was normal, and decided that my lymph nodes we?re fighting a bacterial infection. Which he felt was odd, since I exhibited no other symptoms, such as a sore throat or ear infection. He gave me an antibiotic (Keflex 500mg), which I took 3 times a day for ten days. However, the antibiotics did nothing for my lymph nodes and I had to go back to the doctor. He then put me on levaquin and also prednisone. I ended up not being able to take levaquin because it caused a horrible, red, itchy rash all over my body. So I was put back on Keflex and was told to continue with the steroid. After finishing those two medicines, the swelling in my lymph nodes subsided? until now. Once again, the lymph nodes in the back, right side o my neck are swollen. Like last time, I present no other symptoms. I don?t understand what?s going on. This has me worried sick. Has anyone else ever had a similar situation? I?d appreciate any ideas on this subject.

Thank You.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Recurrent lymphadenitis (swelling and painful lymph nodes) should have a reason that can be identified. So far, your doctor has not found the source of this lymphatic reaction, so it may be in your best interest to consult a good ENT for a second opinion.

Do you have any pets (like cats)? Cat-scratch fever can cause these things, but of course, so can many, many other things. Did your doctor do a mono or repeat CBC test?

Unfortunately, without the ability to examine you and have a detailed medical history, there would be no way for me to narrow down the possibilities.

aprettythought responded:
Thank you so much for responding. Yes, my doctor did test for mono and it came back negative. He also performed another cbc test and again everything was fine. I did, however, have a fever that I was completely unaware of and I was extremely dehydrated. They had to poke me four times to finally get my vein. I do not have cats nor have I been around any lately. I have dogs but I've had them for along time. I am unsure if that makes a difference. Do you need a referral to see an ENT? Thank you again for your guidance. I know it must be difficult since you do not know the particulars and cannot exam me yourself.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Most insurances (and ENTs) require a referral. I am sure your primary care will make those arrangements for you.

No...dogs are 'safe'. Cats can carry certainly bacteria that cause CSF (cat-scratch fever), but if you have not been around cats, this is not a consideration.

GenieAlice responded:
I have several small knots on the right side of my neck. They?ve been there for several months. They?re not tender, and they roll around when I touch them. Now, I?ve got some on the left side down by my collarbone that are somewhat tender, but they feel the same to touch as the others. Is this something I should be concerned about?

kelml4 responded:
I have recurring swollen lymph nodes that are painful behind my ears, neck, under my arm pits and in my groin. I've had my blood tested for just about everything! And taken several antibiotics and nothing has worked. They go down for several weeks, then come back again. I have no idea what's going on! Let me know if you get any answers!

hipshire01 responded:
Did you ever find out what this was? My daughter is going through something similar right now and the doctors have no clue what is causing it. She has no other symptoms and they do not seemed concerned but the node is painful for her and very enlarged now. Please if you have any info let me know. I am a very worried mother. Thank you.

texaswildbabe1 replied to Rod_Moser_PA_PhD's response:
I HAD CAT SCRATCH FEVER WHEN I WAS LITTLE. I GOT IT FROM A RABBIT. YOU CAN ALSO GET IT FROM A PIN PRICK IF THE BACTERIA IS THERE, NOT JUST FROM A CAT.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to texaswildbabe1's response:
You are correct...it is the pathogen, not the vector, that is the cause of CSF.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.