Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Just One Swollen Tonsil?
muzikalchairs posted:
About six months ago, my left tonsil became swollen. About 8 weeks ago, I came down with a sore throat for a few days. It went away for two days, than I came down with bronchitis symptoms, coughing up yellow mucus. This went away after a few days and I was fine for another few more days. Than I lost about 40% of my hearing in my left ear for about a week, and then it cleared up. There have been no symptoms for the past month, other than I've been excessively lethargic and sleeping all the time. My left tonsil is now extremely swollen and my right one remains at regular size. I went to minute clinic and all they did was take a strep test for $100. I could've paid her $100 to tell her I didn't have strep. There is no pain associated with this. I do have a somewhat excessive sinus drainage, but i'm not sure why it would only affect one tonsil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't get into my doctors office for awhile, so I'm quite worried.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Many people have "unequal" tonsils. I see this everyday in my practice. A red, painful,unusually-swollen tonsil on just one side could be a sign of a peritonsillar abscess, however, if your tonsils are just different sizes, this may not be medically important. Since I cannot see your tonsils first-hand, I cannot make this determination in your case.

One side may get more inflammation if you tend to sleep on one side. Gravity may cause post-nasal drainage to inflamed one tonsil over the other -- the downward tonsil.

Do you have seasonal allergies? Did anyone test you for mononucleosis? This would be a blood test and a consideration. Have you had a work up for your sinuses, such as a CT scan? I know these tests are expensive when you do not have insurance or the financial resources, but they may be something to consider if your symptoms persist.

tunisiag replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Okay I have one swollen tonsil, with a sore neck and I just got over a strep throat but I don't understand why the pain is still here it came and it went then came an ear ache, and it's like my whole right side from my neck to my ear is throbbing with pain. I also have problems hearing out of my right ear this has been my whole life though, what I want to know is how can I get rid of the swollen tonsil or will this result in surgery. And I too don't have any medical insurance and would love for you to help me out

atti_editor replied to tunisiag's response:
Hi tunisiag,

While we cannot give medical advice or diagnosis, you might want to check out this information on strep throat and tonsillitis. It could be that your tonsils are infected and that is what is causing you pain. Your doctor can test for tonsillitis and determine if it is bacterial (in which case anibiotics can help) or viral (where the infection will have to run its course). The article has some things you might try to minimize the pain -- drinking plenty of fluids and avoiding spicy foods are some.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.