Includes Expert Content
Nasal Polyps/ Loss of taste and smell, fluid in ears
479carla posted:
I just want to share my success story with anyone who may have nasal polyps, resulting in loss of taste and smell and chronic fluid in ears. After several years of suffering from this, I decided to pay a visit to an Allergist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. It was determined that I had an "aspirin allergy", but needed to take daily aspirin to treat the nasal polyps. I underwent a 3 day aspirin desensitization program, which forced my body to accept aspirin. I took Prednisone, 40mg per day for 10 days, to shrink the polyps. I now take 2 ea, 325 mg aspirin every morning, and 2 ea. every night. I also take one Singulair per day. Every morning and every night I "soak" my nostrils in a prescription liquid prednisione and saline mixture, by hanging my head off the end of the bed and using a syringe, instill the liquid, in 3 different head positions for 3 minutes each. Quite a procedure, I agree, but I can now breathe freely, smell, taste and hear!!! I highly recommend the Mayo if you are suffering from this like I was. I feel like I have my life back!!!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Thank you so much for sharing your success story. Unfortunately, since all people are different....from their level of disease to their response to therapy....there is really no way to know if your success could be transferred to someone else with the same or similar complaints. The important thing is that YOU are better...or perhaps, even cured. Your story offers sinus-sufferers some sorely-needed optimism.

479carla replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Yes, that's why I wanted to share my success with others who suffer from nasal polyps and the related side effects from them. It has been approx. 6 weeks now since I started this new treatment, and I feel great! I had almost given up on ever being able to breathe freely again, not to mention, smell, taste and hear normally. I still don't understand what aspirin allergy, asthma, and nasal polyps have in common, or why aspirin helps to fight the polyps, but it has definitely made a difference for me. I hope I have given someone else hope for a cure by sharing my story.

JY1963 responded:
This is encouraging. I've read that polyp sufferers are often allergic to aspirin and encouraged to avoid aspirin, yet the regimen that is working for you involving using aspirin. That seems so counterintuitive to use the allergen that promotes polyps to keep them at bay. Sounds like the prednisone/Singulair combo is the key polyp controller. Is that right? Did your doctors say there were any serious risks to the liquid prednisone/saline "soak?" I'm sure like all of us you've been warned about the side effects of frequent use of oral prednisone. I'm wondering if this "soak" strategy has the benefits without the risks? Very intrigued. Would love to know more and whether almost a year later, you are still doing OK?

479carla replied to JY1963's response:
I'm still doing great! My one year anniversary is coming up this week, and I couldn't be happier! I have not had an allergy pill in the last year, quite an accomplishment from someone who used to "live" on them! I am taking one 325 mg aspirin, and one singulair per day now. Am also still doing the prednisone/saline "soak" two times per day. I can really tell the difference in how I breathe, if I happen to skip a "soaking" now and then, so I try to be faithful to it. My main issue now is the bruising and thin skin, that the aspirin causes. My skin seems to be paper thin, and the slightest thing can cause a bruise or cut. I too, was cautious about long term use of the liquid prednisone. The doc at the Mayo, and the local docs that I have talked to here, tell me that the topical use does not affect you like an oral dose does. I would recommend this course of treatment to anyone who suffers like I did with allergies. Don't give up, there is help out there!

tbeasley replied to 479carla's response:
Came across this article and am very curious because I suffer from the same thing. What happened when you were allergic to aspirin when you took it, what kind of allergic reaction did it give and what is the oral prednisone & saline mixture that the doctor precribed called or if it is a prescription do you know the name of it? Please advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

479carla replied to tbeasley's response:
The allergist at the Mayo gave me mega doses of aspirin during the de-sensitization process. I started the first day with a small dose, 2.5 hours later took a slightly larger dose, which I had a reaction to. My nose stuffed up, eyes watered, sneezed, etc. They gave me some benadryl to counteract it, which helped. The next 2.5 hour dose was even larger. We continued this for 3 days, until I was taking 1300 mg. per dose. The doctor told me that once I passed the first reaction, I would not have another one, and he was right! I am now, 2.5 years later, taking one 325 mg. aspirin per day. Doc said to never go 3 days without aspirin, or I would become allergic again. FYI, red wine will also cause the same effect, if you are allergic to aspirin. They both contain salisylic (sp?) acid. If you think you are allergic, stay away from that also! The "Soak" that I use, 2x daily is: Budesonide 0.25 mg and Sodium Chloride 0.9%. I mix two vials of each in a tall shot glass, pull it into a syringe, hang my head off the side of the bed, squirt and soak for about 3 mins each, in 3 different positions. Time consuming, but it works and is worth the effort to breathe! The meds are both prescription. Good luck! I hope this helps you!!!

melissanoernberg responded:
This is very helpful as I have suffered for 12 yesrs. I've undergone 3 unsuccessful sinus surgeries and an unsuccessful aspirin desensitization. I have lived in much pain and misery for over a decade.I have even traveled to Johns Hopkins University medical Center,which lead to zero sinus relief, only the findings of a cancerous tumor in my upper chest wall. That was in 2007. We had dealt with that until last march when we visited MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas. Long in short, I am ready to hang my head for how ever long it takes at night to get my life back once and for all. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience so others like me can benefit.

melissanoernberg replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Very true... But, a glimpse of hope to a ling time sufferer is all she needs.