Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
In Defense of McDonald's
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
Some groups have attacked McDonald's for pushing fast food on kids. Dr. Moser argues that fast food doesn't make people fat. People make people fat by their poor choices. Do you love or hate McDonald's? Is fast food providing a service or disservice for families? In his latest blog post, Dr. Moser says that parents need to take charge of what their kids are eating. Read the post then come back here to share your thoughts.

RicRatCat responded:
Every time I read your blogs, you endear yourself to me more and more! You have just blogged about something that riled me tremendously about 3 weeks ago. Please read my tirade at your leisure: http://forums.webmd.com/3/food-and-cooking-exchange/forum/1174?@496.GEeDaaOijUB @

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to RicRatCat's response:
Excellent......and thank you so much for your kind comments. Your comments are definitely RIGHT ON!

sama50 responded:
I'm really of 2 minds about this issue.

First is the fact that people are responsible for choosing their food. When you go through the drive through you can either order a salad or a big mac. No one forces you to choose one or the other.

Secondly, though, food, like many other things, can be an addition for people. I was like that for years until I started therapy for emotional eating. Just like the drug addict whenever I was upset or just feeling down french fries would cheer me up. McDonald's is a cheap source of comfort. So I could binge eat in secret for less than $5. Eating 2 large fries with a coke 3-4 times a week was a problem but I didn't feel that I had any control until I got help. Before I started therapy I could not have quit doing it without feeling depressed.

Was it ultimately McDonald's fault that I started this pattern though? No, it was my parents' and grandmother's because they taught me this behavior when I was a child. But I do think that our wide availability of fast food contributed to the problem if it hadn't been so easy to go through a drive through on the way home I would not have been able to indulge to the point of weighing over 300 pounds.

Hiltonj responded:
Cant say I "hate" mcdonalds, we have just chosen not to eat there, or feed our childen food from there (or any other fast food place) ever. We used to, but we had decided to make healthy choices, and two years ago swore off all fast food, we usually get some "I dont believe you" or "how do you manage" looks when we say we havent fed our kids mcdonalds in more than two years. Thats the part of the article I dont agree with ..... it says that parents cant survive without fast food. You can, you just have to plan.

An_187494 replied to sama50's response:
First, I want to say that I'm impressed. It sounds like you've either beat or are in the process of beating your self-destructive mind-set. In my opinion, eating disorders would probably be one of the toughest addiction obstacles to overcome. Food is quite enjoyable and has less ill effects than other addictions- no stinking clothes from cigarettes, no bullet holes from crack, etc...

In the defense of McDonald's, however, the institution cannot be held responsible for our short-comings. Neither beef nor potatoes are addictive so why should they be condemned for trying to make a living? Is it not something we all do?

Regarding the toys included in their Happy Meals, they aren't made from hemp so they're not chemically addictive, either. It's still up to the parents to curtail their impulsions.

I do want to commend you on your lifestyle reevaluation and wish you the best of luck!

xxxZITHxxx responded:
I must agree that it is the parents' choices rather than McDonald's that cause health issues.
Growing up, every other Friday, my mother would drive my sister and I over an hour so that we could spend the weekend with our father. She never got home from work until at least 6:30 at night. If she made us dinner, and then we sat down and ate it we'd not leave until 7:30 or 8pm at the earlier. Drop us off at 9pm and my mother wouldn't get home until 10pm at night. As a solution to that, my mother would pick us up right after work, and stop at McDonald's since it was right next to the highway on-ramp. A chicken sandwich meal with a chocolate shake for me, and a #2 - 2 cheeseburgers, hold the ketchup meal with a chocolate shake for my sister. My mother usually grabbed a Big Mac, hold the onions. Strange that I still remember this"026. Anyways"026 now that I am older, and dealing with being overweight , I've learned to make healthier choices — have a single cheeseburger, rather than 3-4, or have a nice salad. I wish when I was a kid, they had salads like they do now.

NICEENUFF replied to xxxZITHxxx's response:
I LOVE McD's!!! Love everything about it!! Especially the TOYS in the happy meals. I was besides myself when I read about the lawsuit against the toys, that is so wrong! I go almost every day for lunch get a happy meal the nuggets mostly and choose the apple dippers instead of fries..smarter choce..and it fills ME up. Their coffees aren't to shabby either, cheaper than starbucks and tasty too. We have choices, we do make ourselves fat not the food. Should we be mad with grocery stories as well??..they sell LOTS of fattening foods that we as consumers keep going back to buy. C'mon people stop blaming everything else for your stupid ways of living and smarten up, leave well enough alone.

CarrieAnnUnderwood responded:
Love this! Being healthy is all about taking responsibility for your choices and influencing your children to do the same when they are old enough. As an adult who has struggled with my weight most of my teenage and adult life, when I have lost weight in the past no food was off limits completely- I just limited how often and how much I ate of them. McDonald's offers some healthy alternatives (as you mention) for all meals. The only disappointment I have with McDonald's is they do not allow substituations in their meals- for example for a breakfast meal they should allow you to substitute a yogurt or apples for the deep fried potatoes. Wendy's does this with their meals- you can get baked potatoe or chili vs. french fries.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to CarrieAnnUnderwood's response:
You bet. McDonalds should allow some reasonable substitutions. Many other fast food restaurants will allow you to "have it your way". McDonald's will listen if you take the time to send your comments to the Corporate offices.

Yes, it all about choices. We make lots of those. We choose not to smoke. We chose to wear seatbelts. We chose what we eat, how much we eat, and when we eat.

hfkry responded:
I completely agree with you its not Mc donalds' fault. we should take responsibility for what we eat and they do offer salads and other healthy alternatives which they aren't obligated to do. I do wish they would stop using trans fats though.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to hfkry's response:
I though McDonalds was out of the trans-fat business already.

TheenD001 responded:
I have no problem with Mcdonalds, especially since i know how to eat healthy. I do have a problem with the fast food industry as a whole, there are very few healthy choices to pick from at the resteraunts. I believe that there should be an equal number of healthy and unhealthy choices, just because i like to eat healthy foods doesnt meen i should have to pick from two healthy choices. i should have the same number of choices as people who will eat regular foods

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to TheenD001's response:
I went out to lunch the other day at a chain that has "Choice" in their name; a long salad bar, choices of soups, pasta, etc. There was also a drink station with mostly sugary drinks, an ice cream machine with lots of toppings, brownies, cookies, etc.

I think I made some healthy choices, but looking around...especially watching the kid's choices, they were not. The parents didn't seem to mind.

edoherty96 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
THANK YOU, DR. MOSER!!! I am SO tired of the McDonald's bashing! When "Super Size Me" came out, Mikey D's was treated like the enemy. I really loved the conspiracy theorys on how they put "special ingredients" in their food to get people addicted. The painful truth is that people are overweight because they eat more and exercise less, but some people can't handle the truth - it's easier to blame someone else! I always get the Happy Meal. It has just enough food to feel me up, and has about 600 calories.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.