Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Head Pressure with Heart Beat in ears
chrissyinc posted:
I've never written on a board before. I'm a 54yr. old female and for the last yr. or so I've noticed that when I bend over or sit in a "slouched" position(or laying position) or just sometimes sitting at the computer I get this head & face pressure with my heartbeat in my ears. Mostly when I stand or get up from the bending or sitting position. Almost like a headrush but worse. I do have panic disorder (for over 30yrs) and I thought it could have manafasted itself like this. But I not anxious when this happens. Yesterday I went to get a massage because I ached. While laying on the table face down it happened. I could hear the music going in and out with my heartbeat and I felt the pressure along with the heartbeats. I had asked my doc. about it when it happened to me while I was doing some gardening and he said it was probably due to the humidity and left it at that. Just today I was having lunch and was reading a book, put the book down and got up to get some water and it came on again, the pressure and the heartbeats. With the pulsing of the heartbeats I almost feel lightheaded and I can feel it in my face. It really has me concerned. I don't want to think I'm nuts, but am I?

Thank you for your input.
Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You may be experiencing some "pulsatile tinnitus". There is a branch of the jugular vein (a large vein that has a pulsation, like an artery) close to the ear. When you change positions, this can change the pressure in your jugular vein, and even the carotid arteries (also located in close proximity), and cause this aberrant sound, and perhaps, even the lightheadedness.

However....please keep in mind that there are MANY different causes, and I cannot diagnose you over the Internet based solely on your brief posting. Since this has been going on for a year, I would suggest that you see a good ENT for a thorough examination.
chrissyinc replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you very much for your response. At least I know there MAY be an explaination for what's going on. It does help ease my mind. I will definetly take this up with an ENT, but I need to find a good one. =0)
Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to chrissyinc's response:
There are plenty of good ENTs. Ask your doctor which one he/she would see if they had tinnitus?

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 54 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.