Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Red hot burning ears and then blisters
weaselbobber posted:
I was reading some of the other posts on red hot ears. This started for me last night. It was so painful that I couldn't sleep. I woke up this morning to find my ears swollen and blistered. The blisters are all along the upper part of the ear on the inside and wrapping around the edge. The lobe area is just fine. Also, I have hives all over my legs and arms now. About a week ago I was on a plane and suddenly got sweaty, clammy and chills and then nauseous. I thought it was just the bumpy ride, but I'm having the same problem the last few days accompanied by dizziness with the slightest movement. By slight I mean standing at the kitchen sink for example and then turning to my right to open a cupboard door. Yesterday I started having trouble hearing. I was sitting next to someone and could hardly hear a word they were saying.
I don't know if any recent symptoms could also be related but I'll share them just in case. I've completely lost my appetite over the past few months and am so tired that even with 8 hours of sleep I fall asleep throughout the day. I'm exhausted! I can't hardly eat anymore because even eating a graham cracker or piece of toast for dinner makes me feel so full that I'm sick. Breakfast is usually a piece of toast and a glass of water. No lunch or snacks throughout the day. I'm not hungry. I'm gaining weight like crazy and even with increased exercise it's not changing. I'm talking about a 40 lb. weight gain in a couple of months! I swim laps for 45 minutes to an hour 5-6 days a week. I've been getting headaches more frequently also. I know I have a lot of food allergies, but have been really good with sticking to foods that are not on the allergy list although I know they can change. Last month I was having so much pain in my right and left sides of my back that I couldn't sleep for more than 3-4 hours at night. I switched beds, slept on the couch, etc. with no relief. I went on a juice fast for 3 days and about a month later the pain subsided finally.

Last fall I was having extreme difficulty breathing and went to the doctor who said it was seasonal asthma. I now have an inhaler, but only use it as needed. I haven't used it at all since April. Also, I'm taking Zyrtec once daily for the allergy symptoms. In addition, I regularly take Seasonique which my gynecologist prescribed to help with what we believe is endometriosis. I've had terrible spouts of back pain so severe that I'm bed ridden for months. The orthopedic surgeons don't think it is anything serious, just a general degeneration of the L4/L5 vertebrae. Since I've started taking the medication, I haven't had a severe back attack for a year and a half now. Before that I had them at least once a year and that's been ongoing for the past 15 years. This may all be unrelated, but then again, the body is one big organ. I'm only 32, but I feel worse than my 89 year old grandmother who has had several heart attacks 2 pace makers one of which shorted and shocked her numerous times before she got to the hospital. I mean she really isn't in the best of shape, but gees can she go. That's when I really begin to get worried. I feel like I'm falling apart. If anyone can put any of these facts together and has any ideas I would really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks for taking the time.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Do not even attempt to make a self-diagnosis....you array of symptoms are much to complex and varied. A person can have more than one medical problem going on at the same time, so tying to "connect all of your symptoms" into one, universal diagnosis is going to be futile.

As you know, this is the Ear, Nose, and Throat board, so I can offer you some insight into the ear symptoms. You have read the 'red,hot ears' posting, so you know that blisters are not part of this phenomena. Painful blisters on one outer ear or the ear canal can be herpes simplex or zoster, or a condition called Ramsay-Hunt syndrome, howeve, you have symptoms on BOTH ears. Herpetic symptoms, with the exception of chicken pox, does not occur on both ears at the same time. Without being able to see and examine you, I really can't specfically comment. You will need to see your medical provider, an ENT, or even a dermatologist so you can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated.

You have lots and lots of other health issues and concerns that I cannot help you with, so I hope that you have a good family practitioner or internist that can help sort out you various problems.

weaselbobber replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for the advice. I tried getting an appointment with my doctor who is an internist and they don't have any room for me. They just thought I should go to urgent care or the emergency room. I have had too many wrong diagnoses and complete lack of correct medical treatment at such facilities (generally misdiagnosed or too quick to hand out a prescription for medication that doesn't even treat the issue just a generic one pill fits all philosophy). So I think I'm going to start looking for another doctor again. As for my other issues, I agree I probably have multiple health issues, but you never know if any are related. Thanks again!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to weaselbobber's response:
Finding a doctor that will delve into your various health issues is critical. I hope you will find an internist that will take your symptoms seriously....

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.