Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is that a blister in my throat?
Abraneb posted:
I have had a sore throat for almost a week now - no fever, but had the doctor check it out anyway, and it's not strep. Assuming a viral infection of some sort, I figured I would just rest and wait it out. However, for the past two days the soreness in the throat has gotten truly extreme - I can't move without wincing, and swallowing is agony. It literally feels like someone took a knife to my tonsils!

There's still no sign of a fever, and overall I feel alright. The nose has become a little bit runny, but nothing major. It's just the throat, but my god it hurts!

I shone a flashlight down my throat to have a look, and sure enough, it's red and my tonsils are slightly swollen. But there also seems to be this funny-looking red spot on one side of the throat next to the tonsil, really tiny but looks a little like a blister or something. It's right where the worst of the pain is coming from - any ideas as to what on earth that might be?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Without the ability to see your tonsils first-hand, I would need to blindly guess (not something that I like to do). Your description is really not the same as examining you....

This could be an aphthous ulcer (canker sore), herpangina, or other non-Strep cause. Did your doctor do a blood test for mononucleosis (EBV panel)? Mono can cause some very severe sore throats.

Abraneb replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Yes, the doctor took some blood to test for mono, although she didn't seem very convinced that this could be the problem since I have no other symptoms to speak of. It will be another day before I get any results.

I figured it could be a canker sore as I have a tendency to get them occasionally, although I've never gotten one so far back in the throat before. Is this area more sensitive since it's so much more painful than a canker sore elsewhere in the mouth?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Abraneb's response:
I see canker sores on the throat nearly every day....and in children and adults of all ages. In my opinion, those open sores are more painful than Strep.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

i
mine feels the same way and im kinda scared that it could be throat cancer but i dont know the doctor said i dont have strep throat but it ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.