Includes Expert Content
Is that a blister in my throat?
Abraneb posted:
I have had a sore throat for almost a week now - no fever, but had the doctor check it out anyway, and it's not strep. Assuming a viral infection of some sort, I figured I would just rest and wait it out. However, for the past two days the soreness in the throat has gotten truly extreme - I can't move without wincing, and swallowing is agony. It literally feels like someone took a knife to my tonsils!

There's still no sign of a fever, and overall I feel alright. The nose has become a little bit runny, but nothing major. It's just the throat, but my god it hurts!

I shone a flashlight down my throat to have a look, and sure enough, it's red and my tonsils are slightly swollen. But there also seems to be this funny-looking red spot on one side of the throat next to the tonsil, really tiny but looks a little like a blister or something. It's right where the worst of the pain is coming from - any ideas as to what on earth that might be?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Without the ability to see your tonsils first-hand, I would need to blindly guess (not something that I like to do). Your description is really not the same as examining you....

This could be an aphthous ulcer (canker sore), herpangina, or other non-Strep cause. Did your doctor do a blood test for mononucleosis (EBV panel)? Mono can cause some very severe sore throats.

Abraneb replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Yes, the doctor took some blood to test for mono, although she didn't seem very convinced that this could be the problem since I have no other symptoms to speak of. It will be another day before I get any results.

I figured it could be a canker sore as I have a tendency to get them occasionally, although I've never gotten one so far back in the throat before. Is this area more sensitive since it's so much more painful than a canker sore elsewhere in the mouth?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Abraneb's response:
I see canker sores on the throat nearly every day....and in children and adults of all ages. In my opinion, those open sores are more painful than Strep.