Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Mucas in the throat won't go away
Saibomb posted:
Hello, I have a strange very strange problem, at least as far as I'm aware.

Prior to last August, I hadn't been sick for over 2 years. Then, during mid-August (around the same time of swine flu) I became sick (I believe I had some kind of a flu but I'm not sure). No problem, in about a couple of weeks I was fine and continued on as normal, except for the mucus in my throat. It remained. I thought to myself, "oh well, it'll just go away eventually...". I was wrong, not only do I still have the mucus in my throat, but since last August I have been sick nearly six times! Compared to not being sick for 2 straight years, that seems odd.

Now, the mucus does get better once the sickness goes away, it usually fades away (but not completely). I have to cough it out maybe one or twice a day when I'm not sick. But, before I got that initial sickness I never had a problem.

I have no idea what this kind of flu this is or what I must do to get read of it. It's very annoying - it seems like every time I get a little cold it comes back to bite me. I would go to my physician but I don't really trust the guy, he doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing...

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You may have started with the flu, but the flu does not last this long. Influenza has the capabilities of causing a secondary infection. Since I do not know anything about you, your medical history, or have any way of examining you, it is not possible for me to blindly diagnose you over the Internet. Based solely on what you have shared, there is a possibility that you have chronic, recurrent sinusitis. This can cause a large amount of mucous to drain down the back of your throat, and this condition can last quite a while unless it is definitively treated.

Since you do not trust your doctor, you will need to find one that you do trust. In order for you to be properly diagnosed and treated, you will need to see a medical provider.

Saibomb replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for your response, but I'm just unclear about one thing: is a weakened immune system a symptom of chronic sinusitis? I mean, it just shocks me how easily I'v been getting sick since I've gotten this thing. Like I said, prior to last August, I hadn't been sick for over 2 years, and now all of a sudden I'm getting a fever every two months.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Saibomb's response:
I have no way of knowing if you have a weak immune system. Everyone is capable of getting an infection -- even those with excellent immune systems. Consider yourself lucky that you have not been ill for two years, but never consider yourself invulnerable to disease. This can happen to anyone.

Rather than be concerned about the reason(s) you are ill, it would be better for you to be properly diagnosed and treated.

Saibomb replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Alright, thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it greatly!

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.