Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Wile irrigating my ear to remove ear wax they pumped in boiling hot water into my ear.
dathomas7 posted:
On July 31, 2009 I had boiling hot water pumped into my ear while they were clean out my ear wax and it was there for more than 5 minutes. Today, more than 13 months later I still have a bad pain behind the ear drum. I have been to 3 ENT's and no one has ever treated someone like me. The best medicine I had was 1cc of Emla cream filling my ear and heald in with cotton. I was deaf for more than one week and had a beautiful waterfall and ringing sounds but NO PAIN. I am now taking Antipyrine-Benzocaine ear drops for the pain but I have had severe reactions (Bad taset. Swelling throat, tingly lips, swelling lips, swelling tongue ) and I had to cut back on the use of the drops so therefor I am in more pain. Now I went to a Neurology group and they put me on Lyrica. They said that the right ear pain is secondary to the eardrum burn. This might be due to nerve endings and medication such a Lyrica might help. I am taking two 50mg tablets a day. So far this has brought my pain level down to a two of three on a scale of ten and I can stop the ear drops. I can tolerate this but I would like it to go away somehow. This has been pure torture to deal with this pain. No one should ever have to live with this. Without medication you would end it all.

Has anyone treated someone with this problem? HELP!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
What a terrible story. The water was probably not "boiling", but based on what you have shared, it was too damn hot! So hot, in fact, that it resulted in some significant ear problems. Didn't it immediately hurt when the instilled the water? Leaving something burn for five minutes is like holding you hand in a flame for five minutes.

I can't say that I have ever had a patient like you in the last four decades, so this is a very unique incident....at least, I hope. If someone has a similar experience, please post.

dathomas7 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
from dathomas7
thanks for your reply and honesty. The primary care doctor explained that they do not have hot water comming out of the facuet so they take beakers of water to the microwave and heat them up. They use their little pinky finger to test the water and add cold water from the facuet where necessary. The nurse that was cleaninging my ears brought in a beaker or two, tested them and was pumping my ears, when another girl brought a beaker of water in and set it on the counter. The nurse just forgot to test the new beaker and that is why I got boiling hot water in my ear. Yes it hurt and I lurched away from the pumping device and told her I need cold water in my ear. It took more than five minutes for her to get the water temperature correct and re pump my ear. The initial burn was over with, but later that evening I was in real trouble. Used everything I had but had to call my primary care doctor by midnight because the ear was so bad. It was a twenty on a ten scale. Being Saturday early in the morning the on call doctor from my primary doctor's office told me to go to the emergency room of the hospital. I did and so starts my quest for help. I have been to three ENT's and one nuroligist. I am now taking Lyrica but after four tries my humana insurance is still denying to pay for it since it was not intended for my problem. This is the worst torture to deal with on a daily basis. Almost a year later I ended up with an operation, upper endoscopy, since I was now unable to sallow any large pills or sometimes food without gaging. I am sure that it was from the ear drops which so many times had a problem with my throat. All this was done on my birthday, 31st, over a year ago

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to qromeo's response:
Congratulations, Susan. Unfortunately, WebMD rules prohibit me from contacting you personally, and even has a rule against having you post your phone number. If you have a web site, I can visit it.....

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to dathomas7's response:
A microwave! Unbelievable! Most of us know that the surface temperature of a microwaved liquid may be cooler that the temperature further down the glass or beaker.

The primary care doctor should be paying for your Lyrica....in my opinion, if your neurlogist feels you need it.

What a horror story.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.