Includes Expert Content
Ear hurts when I lay on it too long
An_187539 posted:
Hello, I am wondering about my ear pain and if there is anything I can do. I sleep on my left side alot and most nights I wake up because I switched postions and my whole ear hurts really bad not the inner ear just the outer part. It hurts so bad I can't lay back down on it for quite some time. Is this normal? It only happens on my left side. My pillow is rather soft and it will happen if I switch pillows toos.

Thanks so much.
Amber

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
In most cases, it is a compression issue -- your ear is being compressed, causing some congestion of blood and/or irritating a sensory nerve.

There are no real medical solutions, but some ENTs recommend that you create a special foam pillow that has a created "ear hole" for your outer ear to rest. Many people have made them and this seems to help. Taking some ibuprofen -- an antiinflammatory medication -- at bedtime may also help.

kiefs311 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you I will look into one of those pillows! It is just a weird feeling that huts! Thank you for your response.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to kiefs311's response:
You won't find one....you have to MAKE one to fit your ear.

redsilk1 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
There is a pillow made now that can be bought at http://www.sleepposture.com/index.php

Thanks
Margie

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to redsilk1's response:
That pillow would work.....a little pricey, but I think it would do the job. Thanks for sharing.