Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ear hurts when I lay on it too long
An_187539 posted:
Hello, I am wondering about my ear pain and if there is anything I can do. I sleep on my left side alot and most nights I wake up because I switched postions and my whole ear hurts really bad not the inner ear just the outer part. It hurts so bad I can't lay back down on it for quite some time. Is this normal? It only happens on my left side. My pillow is rather soft and it will happen if I switch pillows toos.

Thanks so much.
Amber

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
In most cases, it is a compression issue -- your ear is being compressed, causing some congestion of blood and/or irritating a sensory nerve.

There are no real medical solutions, but some ENTs recommend that you create a special foam pillow that has a created "ear hole" for your outer ear to rest. Many people have made them and this seems to help. Taking some ibuprofen -- an antiinflammatory medication -- at bedtime may also help.

kiefs311 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you I will look into one of those pillows! It is just a weird feeling that huts! Thank you for your response.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to kiefs311's response:
You won't find one....you have to MAKE one to fit your ear.

redsilk1 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
There is a pillow made now that can be bought at http://www.sleepposture.com/index.php

Thanks
Margie

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to redsilk1's response:
That pillow would work.....a little pricey, but I think it would do the job. Thanks for sharing.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.