Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How does a subwoofer affect hearing?
anon10 posted:
It produces a low noise and a lot of vibration. Is it worse or better then speakers? How bad is it for potential hearing loss?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
It is not the frequency, but rather the volume....and the duration of that volume, that is the most damaging to the ears. Basically, that low bass rumble...the kind that rattles windows, shakes cars, etc. is VERY bad for your ears.

anon10 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
So, is bass emitted from a subwoofer louder volume then speakers? Should the same rule for how much noise you can listen to a day be applied to bass. Or should the exposure be less?

How is low bass very bad for my ears?

Thanks

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to anon10's response:
I have no idea what VOLUME you are experiencing. Again, the frequency is not as critical as the VOLUME.

Just "turn it down" or be prepared in later life to deal with noise-induced hearing loss.

"Basically, that low bass rumble...the kind that rattles windows, shakes cars, etc. is VERY bad for your ears"

I'm having trouble with this statement. How is the rumble of a bass that can rattle a window worse then loud volume? Does the vibration cause damage?

My subwoofer comes with my speakers. Most of the loud volume comes from the speakers. The bass simply adds vibration and I guess a few decibels extra noise.

Get someone to measure the decibel level of your intended VOLUME, then you will know where you stand. I have no idea how loud you turn up your speakers.

It is up to you to make these decisions. I cannot get into an endless discussion about what is more damaging....frequency or volume. I have already shared my concern about volume, so if you want to listen to a real, low-volume, low-frequency rumble, it is your call. I suspect you are cranking up the volume, however.

By the way, how old are you?

I am 20. I don't listen to music too loud or have the bass up too high, so I should be okay. I also only listen to one album a day so I only have an hour's exposure.

I simply wished to know if you believe that purchasing speakers that come with a sub woofer is okay or dangerous. Reading between the lines, it seems it is okay as long as volume levels are okay.

I wish you the best, my friend. Remember that this is your only set of ears, so you have to take care of them. Don't abuse them in your youth, only to pay the price in adulthood.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.