Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is it true that you have increased white blood cells after cold/infection that will prevent other infections?
MHP8982 posted:
My husband and I are just getting over colds/sinus infections. He is a teacher and had 2 students get sick in his class today with a stomach bug. I told him I was concerned about us getting that now.. and he told me that with taking vitamins and having a higher white blood cell count after our colds, it should help prevent us from getting sick with anything else? I know obviously a cold might give immunity to the same cold.. but not immunity to another infection all together... but I guess he just means that we have a better ability to fight other things off after a cold? Is this true? he's not a Dr... and I've never heard this and can't find anything about it? Just wondering if anyone else has heard this?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
As a teacher, your husband probably has a very good immune system from his constant exposure. A cold (a respiratory virus) does not protect you against getting a gastrointestinal virus. Vitamins do not prevent colds or other viral infections. I suspect that his white count is not different than other people, or normal.

Whether he gets sick or not is more dependent on his past immunity. If he has had a similar virus in the past, he will not likely get sick, or if it does, only get a mild illness.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.