Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
blood in post nasal drip
shellgg posted:
Hi,
I can't get in to see my ENT for a couple of weeks so I thought I would inquire about this on here first.
A few weeks ago, I had my first ever nose bleed at 30 years of age. It was NOT shooting out of my nose and didn't last long. I first noticed it when I was brushing my teeth and rinsed my mouth out. When I looked up, I saw the blood smeared around my nose and blew more out on the tissue.
Tonight, also when brushing my teeth, I rinsed out my mouth and spit out blood again. This time there was just a speck of blood inside of my nose that I saw with a tissue paper. The blood is clearly coming from my post nasal drip as opposed from my lungs.
Would this be considered a "nose bleed?" Should I push to see my doctor sooner b/c it could be serious?
Thanks for your help.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Nosebleeds (epistaxis) can be a sign of many different medical conditions, but what you have described in your brief postings -- those specks of blood -- does not sound very serious. Please keep in mind that I do not know anything about you, your medical history, or have any way of delving into your specific case. The nasopharynx is very rich in blood supply so it does not take much for it to bleed. In the vast majority of cases, this is not an ominous sign.

Seeing your doctor in a few weeks is fine.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.