Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Shingles and the H1N1 Flu shot
Raphael1234 posted:
Dr. Moser and others,

Is there any danger relating to getting the H1N1 vaccine after suffering with shingles. My mother is 82 and has suffered severely with shingles over the past year. At this time the symptoms have subsided. However, she fears getting the shot due to the publicity she's heard relating to shingles and the H1N1 shot. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I have not heard a relationship between shingles (herpes zoster) and the H1N1 or even the seasonal flu vaccine (contains the H1N1). These are two different viruses....apples and oranges.

Do you have any information about the information your mother has heard? If there is a relationship, I would like to know.

Raphael1234 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for your response. It's appreciated. My mother basically had heard rumors of this. That's all.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Raphael1234's response:
Unsubstantiated rumors are the enemy of the medical profession.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.