Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Preauricular Ear Pit
pjmargarita posted:
Hi Dr. Moser. Thanks for all the helpful info on here. My daughter is 5 month old. She was born with a preauricular ear pit. I was really concerned about it at first because I had never seen one before. Looked like they had poked her for a test with something and they never mentioned it. She was in the NICU so I had no idea. I started thinking more about it because the bulb under it started to get larger. I pushed on it and white stuff came out.

Couple of questions: (I did read the articles you have posted about this)

1) I know it has the word "sinus" attached to it. My daughter has had cold like symtoms for a while now. Maybe 2-3 weeks. Could this at all be related or no?

2) How do I find a doctor who specializes in this versus just ENT's who put in ear tubes? Seems like this is a much more specialized thing.

3) Is surgery the way to go so she doesn't have issues and do they do it out of necessity or is it more of a convienance thing? With her being so little I am guessing they won't do anything now. The issue that we have, as do many other Americans, is out insurance runs out January 1st. Husband lost his job in April and his new company doesn't provide insurance. So, we were hoping to have this looked at and maybe taken care of before then. But is it likely they won't due to age?

Thanks for any opinions you can give.

Patti

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Preauricular pits (or sinuses) are not very significant human aberrations. Sure, no one want a child with an extra little hole near their ear, but most of the time, they do not cause any problems.

When the term "sinus" is used it is referring to a tract or little tunnel, not the paranasal sinuses (as in sinusitis). Even though they are anatomically close, they are totally unrelated. There are even peri-ANAL sinus tracts; quite a distance away, as you might imagine.

Many ENTs are also trained in plastic surgery, so they will do these corrective procedures from time to time, but since insurances do not readily pay for cosmetic procedures, surgeries on preauricular pits/sinuses are limited to those who are having complications, like infections, related to them.

Your little girl is not likely to need surgery anytime soon, if at all. Just let her hair grow longer and cover 'em up for now.

pjmargarita replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for your response. I felt silly about the "sinus" question and was almost certain that they were not related.

I think I will cancel for now and not worry about it. Just don't like the stuff coming out of it with her only being 5 months old. But as long as it stays clean, Just hate that she has this. Every parent wants everything to be 100% "normal" on their kids and not sure how she got it since I have never seen it on anyone before in either of our families and what I am reading says that it is inherited.

Thanks again-
Patti

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to pjmargarita's response:
Your daughter is 100% normal....this is just something extra. I have never had a child this young have surgery for a preauricular pit. Most people just get used to them and basically ignore them. Occasionally, they may become secondarily infected, but this is not something to worry about. Just deal with it if it happens.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.