Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vibration in ear
NicoleLayne85 posted:
Hello! I've been having this vibration in my ear for two weeks. Its here all day and causes headaches, dizziness and nausa. I first had this hearing loss, feeling like there was something blocking my ear almost a month ago so i wen to a doctor but told me to take nasal spray and ear poping excerses. He also took a hearing test was came back as good as it could get.
Knowing i had an ear infection i went for a second opinin that doctor said i did have an ear infection in both ears (10/22/2010) went back to day as i have been having this vibration since 10/13/2010 off and on and he said the infection was gone but to go to another ent. he thinks it could be scar tissue causing this vibration problem because he saw scar tissue.
I had tubes in both ears when i was about 8.

could you please help with what this vibration could be and if it is from scar tissue can this be resolved?

thank you

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I can't be too specific about the cause, Nicole, since I do not know the details of your particular case, or have any way of examining you myself. This vibration could be coming from the middle ear (the source of your infection), so once the infection is gone, the ENT should be able to better pinpoint the source. Based on the little information that you have posted, I am guessing (and it is a guess) that your middle ear is the culprit. As far as scar tissue is concerned, this will need to be determined by a more in-depth examination, perhaps by this next ENT.

Sometimes, this vibration is a variation of tinnitus (ringing) and could originate in the INNER EAR - a place that cannot be seen on examination. If the inner ear is the source, it may be more difficult to treat.

Right now, there is no way for me (or anyone) to know if this can be resolved, since the specific cause of this vibration has not be determined.

NicoleLayne85 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for your reply. I went to another ENT yesterday and he did an exam with a thin tube through my nose too look at the nasal passage and throat. All looked good. And did say he sees scar tissue in my left ear. I asked if he has seen this case before and he said may times. He has scheduled me for an MRI on my brian which i will be going to on Monday.
The vibration in my ear is more of a bass then a ringing. I know the rining sound and this is not it. This vibration is pretty much an all day thing now and causes dizziness, headaches and nausea. I dont hear it when i am talking or hear loud noise and the second its quite it starts up again. It is very hard to explain this.
The ear infections have been cleared as well, so it was not related to the infection.
I hope they i can get this solved soon as its the most annoying noise i have ever heard.
Thank you for your time.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to NicoleLayne85's response:
Let me know how things turn out....Nicole

NicoleLayne85 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hi Doc.
Still having the problem and have had an MRI which should up good. He said he does see signs of migrains but everything else looked good. His though was its related to the headaches. I'm havent had a migrain in years which i told him. Im still having this annoying problem which i have made apart of who i am now cause it doesnt seem like it will go away or be solved. Any ideas?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to NicoleLayne85's response:
Not really, Nicole....

Are you seeing a neurologist or an ENT? Is your doctor trying any migraine-specfic treatments to see if it helps?

I am glad that your MRI was normal (most are, fortunately).

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.