Includes Expert Content
Chronic cold?
noboyz4me posted:
We were fortunate to have our in-laws nearby and willing to take care of our kids prior to entering school. I had heard that children who did not attend daycare may be sick often the first couple of years of school because they had not been around as many germs/viruses/illnesses as daycare children. So when my oldest was frequently sick, I wasn't worried.

She's now in 4th grade and is basically sick the entire school year with what I would consider a cold; and it cycles every 2-3 weeks. She'll start feeling better and within 3-4 days she's got another cold. She has dark coloring under her eyes that changes depending on 1) how she's feeling and 2) how much sleep she's gotten. (They're often so dark that strangers will ask if she has allergies and the school nurse suggested she might have sleep apnea - her pediatrician has dismissed both options on multiple occassions) She also has, what I think, are rather large tonsils (nearly touching the epiglotis (?) when they aren't swollen). Is it possible that even though I don't see redness or puss on her tonsils and she doesn't typically run a fever (possibly indicated tonsilitis or strep), that her tonsils could be incubating germs that keep her sick until she's away from them during the summer?

I'd love anyone's input who might have been through something similar.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
The only germs of concern that could be lingering in her large tonsils would be group A Strep...the cause of Strep throat. So, if a culture is negative, there is really no reason to worry about the size of them.....IF...those tonsils are not obstructing her breathing (like sleep apnea) or her ability to swallow. Some kids have HUGE tonsils, but they should shrink over time. Right now, her tonsils have to be large in order to fight off all of the germs she is gathering at school.

Girls tend to be very social...lots of friend-hugging, hand-holding, and close talking. They share germs easily, and unfortunately, your daughter's immune system is not as good as it should be. Assuming she does not have an underlying medical reason for her poor immunity, it too, should improve over time.

Encourage hand-washing, and discourage any eye-rubbing or nose-picking/rubbing -- the two main entry portals for germs.

I guess you could make her wear a surgical mask or home-school her, but this may not be a logical option. In a kid's world filled with germs, she may continue to add to her endless collection for a while longer.

noboyz4me replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Ok, so if the tonsils are obstructing germs, then I probably shouldn't consider having them removed.

I've not sat with her for extended periods of time, but I've not heard her stop breathing and then start again abruptly (as I perceive sleep apnea to look/sound like). That symptom of sleep apnea should be pretty obvious, right?

I hadn't really considered poor immunity...what underlying medical reason might cause that? Are there other symptoms that I maybe haven't associated with all this that's going on?

And if it's not sleep apnea or strep or poor immunity - are there things I can do boost/support her immune system besides the hand-washing and no eye/ear contact? I do give my girls a children's multi-vitamin and acidophilus daily.

I appreciate your input as I try to get/keep her healthy.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to noboyz4me's response:
Tonsils do not "obstruct" germs...I think you misread my comment. Tonsils are lymphatic tissue (like lymph nodes) and actually help PROTECT us; they are part of our immune system and should not be removed unless the obstruct breating or eating. If you think your child has an obstructive airway, then you will need see an ENT for a consultion or have a sleep study (for apnea evaluation).

There are many things -- too numerous to list -- that can result in a decreased immunity, from diabetes to cancer to things like a poor diet. It will be up to her pediatrician to see if she has any risks or signs of organic issues that could be contributory.

Boosting an immune response really narrows down to a good diet, exercise, and healthy lifestyles. Mulitvitamins are fine but they offer little protective effect in a society where we are already "over-vitaminized" by the vitamins added to our foods.

alacyt responded:
Most people I know who get sick all the time never get enough sleep. Check how much sleep she needs based on her age and make sure she gets it!

madelynandava responded:
My nephew, Andrew went through the same thing when he was about four. But after he had his tonsils removed his immune system improved. I think you should take your daughter to the pediatrician. That's what I would do if my daughters were ill. I have 2 twins Madelyn and Ava, and if they ever had that issue I would be deeply concerned. Good luck! I hope everything works out well. God will take care of you through it all. Just leave your daughter in his hands.

trisha2626 responded:
my son was never sick b4 and only had issues with fever with his shots. but since the firt week of school he cot a cold. and so did i, from him. just as he gets better he gets the headaches and fever and runny stuffy nose and cough. fever can get high aat night for two night each time he gets this. thought it was just a cold. seen a dr. 2 times . thought we were past this. nope , he started it again. and already missed about 30 days of school. seems to be the worse in the morning and at night. and fever lasts for a week and cough about 2.. he dont eat much for days at a time. starting to worry. never seen this b4. any idea wut it could be and how to fix it? lol i cant find anything and doctors blow it off as a cold. he will be 6 soon. and his first year of school hasnt been easy. wutever it is, i have some of the same on going symptoms. but not as bad as his.

compoundia responded:
Hi, you can prevent tonsils infection with medicines, but it is not a there is no any permanent treatment, but operation of tonsils is the only one.

http://www.compoundiapharmacy.com/

johnkeller replied to compoundia's response:
I have heard that if tonsils are removed by operation, then it takes longer time to heal and it pains a lot....

elma36 replied to johnkeller's response:
heard that tonsils tend to come back after a specific period of time even after having operation.