Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sound from ear causes back tickle
asong641 posted:
I'm a 20 year old male and I've had this unusual problem my whole life. When a sound enters my right ear, my lower right back will start to tickle (directly under the ribcage). It happens when I use headphones, when I'm getting a haircut and an electric razor is buzzing on the right side of my head or when someone is whispering in my right ear. I usually try to squeeze my lower right back to prevent me from twitching and reacting to the tickle, but that barely helps. I can't use the right earphone cause if I put it in my ear it will start to tickle. I've tried looking everywhere on the internet for an answer, but I can literally find nothing about this. Please help! Thank you

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Sorry....I don't have an explanation for this very unusual phenomena, either.

asong641 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Oh man, thank you anyway

KSpencer81 responded:
Wow, you've just described the exact same problem I have and I thought I was the only one with this issue. I also have problems sometimes listening to the radio in the car. I usually have to shift the sound to the front left side in order to be comfortable. Mumbling and people talking into my right ear often have the same affect. I am looking for a diagnosis and cure for this also since I have dealt with this since I was a child. Not sure but I was born premature...thought that might be related but still researching. I will keep updating this post if I find anything helpful!

asong641 replied to KSpencer81's response:
If you find anything please let me know!

haneulson responded:
Wow, I have searched far and wide all over the internet for an answer to this same problem. For years now I cannot listen to headphones in my right ear. Getting a haircut is extremely frustrating because of my "back tickle". It is alright as long as I don't think about it, but as soon as I think about it, my ear, back, and even down into my right leg begin to tickle. This is such a frustrating ailment because there is nothing I can do to stop it. Someone out there must have an answer to this problem?

rockyrocks55 responded:
I have the EXACT same issue you are experiencing! We need to find answers!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to rockyrocks55's response:
Oh, no....another one. I am going to have to call my friendly, neighborhood neurologist.

asong641 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
oh wow, I didn't know that so many people had this problem. Please if you find anymore information about this please post it! Thank you!

captain290 replied to asong641's response:
I also suffer from this problem, in the exact way as described. But sometimes it doesn't even need to be a sound. When trying to sleep if my right ear is exposed to the air the oceany sound of nothingness can trigger it, cause me to jerk over to the other side.

Also, it's not just the ear. If anyone touches a couple key locations on my back it tickles worse than anything I've ever felt. I can even tickle myself. All it takes is a small poke. When studying massage therapy it was torture, but after a couple months of constantly being touched it did lighten up slightly, but it returned after I graduated.

Finding a remedy or some other coping mechanism for this problem will really help.

WONDERSWOMAN replied to captain290's response:
Same deal with me. If i hear a sound in just my left ear it tickles my back on the left side right below the rib cage. When i was younger it was in each ear but then only went 2 the left. I didnt realize there were this many other people with the same thing going on. Is there a nerve that comes from your ear that goes to your back? I dont know, but i hope some1 knows how 2 get rid of it!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to WONDERSWOMAN's response:
There is really no nerve that runs from your ear to your back - the only commonality is the brain. I don't think this issue you are having is one related the Ear, Nose, or Throat, but rather an unusual neurological (brain) issue. I am sorry, but I cannot offer you any explanation as to why this is happening, or have a solution.

VerteQueen responded:
I have back problems, especially near my right hip, which no one seems to be able to diagnose. But whenever someone whispers in my right ear, I get a lot of pain on the right side of my low back. No problems with the left side though. No other noises seem to bother it, not even headphones. I think when someone talks in my right ear, my back starts to spasm and that causes the pain. I'm thinking I'll never know the reason why...

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to VerteQueen's response:
I wish I knew....I am going to need to talk to a neurologist about this issue.

adawks responded:
I am a 23 year old male and I have also experienced this sensation for as long as I can remember. I get an acute tickle in my lower right back when I hear whispering, or vibratory sounds in my right ear. It is rather embarrasing when getting a haircut, as I cannot sit still with a trimmer whithin 8" of my ear! This morning my cat was sitting on the back of the couch behind me purring, and that also triggered the sensation.

I decided it was time to see if there were others out there experiencing this. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! I have never experienced this listening to music with or without headphones, so I do feel for those of you with that issue. I am very curious to find out what this is! Could it be some form of synesthesia?

Helpful Tips

Ear and throat pain
Hi, I have been experiencing a swollen tonsil for about three weeks, I went to the doctor mi first week and told him mi symptoms: sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.